Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Civ 5 on a huge map with 18 players at about turn 200 - 250. Watch as your gpu takes a shit trying to process turns after that lol.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It isn't the GPU that's doing the processing in that case. It's the CPU.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is something I could never really understand is allot of the new graphics card had bells and whistles that Most games don't or didn't need and most buyers of these graphics card by them because they think that they are playing PC games but the makers of the Graphics cards all seem to be guessing what is needed for the Next games that come out instead of actually working with the PC gaming Devs .
it is almost like they make a card and people that have money to spend but not necessarily the knowledge about which tech to buy ( myself is sort of in this area) .
Old February 11, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would say that platforms are definitely eating resources for the next little while, but as mentioned the drivers are in need of fully catching up to hardware anyway (though new hardware is always exciting).
Old February 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So, Sky, what are your thoughts on the reason for this. Is AMD purposefully trying to break the development cycle on this one? Or are they merely unable to come up with a suitable replacement for Southern Islands at this time?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
So, Sky, what are your thoughts on the reason for this. Is AMD purposefully trying to break the development cycle on this one? Or are they merely unable to come up with a suitable replacement for Southern Islands at this time?
I think AMD is hedging their bets here. By all indications, the channels are flooded with HD 7000-series cards. Hence why gaming bundles have been introduced to try and clear out some unused stock rather than going through mark-downs.

AMD had to take a massive write-down on unsold Llano APUs last year and the last thing they can afford is to have the same thing happen with their GPU division. Personally, I think this is the financially sound thing to do if it does indeed come to pass.

With that being said, I'm a firm believer that AMD is fully committed to the GPU market since it plays a huge part in their Fusion initiative. We can expect GREAT things from them in the near future.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
It would be much nicer if AMD and nVidia helped game devs move away from consoles. Pipe dream...I know.
with amd supplying cpu's and gpu's for consoles, that would be counter productive.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The bad from this, powerful hardware stay more expensive. The good, current stuff stays relevant longer(kinda)

Personally, an 18 month release schedule seems about right. Any sooner and they are replacing stuff that doesn't need it, any longer and with the decreasing cost of monitors and increase in number of people going for multi / High res / 120hz displays your forced into more expensive set-ups that otherwise may have run on a single new card.
Also as said the devaluation of each generation takes longer. Increasing the cost to the end user per performance gained compared to if there was new stuff released.

Have to also agree with sky though, would love to see more optimization of code and more use of the "tools" the hardware has but developers don't use.
That said with game developers not knowing what they will be using in a couple of years how can the designers of the architecture know?

Would love to see a bit more conformity between AMD and Nvidia in the features they bring so as to provide a more stable base for developers to design from.
This is not to say that each couldn't or shouldn't add more of their own new features but that some that are good for all cards should be incorporated into both.. Pipe dream I know but hey.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The issue with the consoles is the low profits on a per-chip basis. The benefits come with volume, but even then the margins are razor thin.
For sure, more or less a revenue exercise.

If it's true that they are using an 'optimized' version of low performance chips (I think Wii U had something like a 5450?) then they might make literally cents per chip.

While it could last another generation with better driver support and optimization, I think best thing for AMD is to release a new product (even a refresh like most of 6xxx series) to compete with nVidia Titan. It's all about the hype and people getting excited about a product. Although it could backfire if the product sucks AKA nVidia's pre-Fermi GTX 4xx series.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
with amd supplying cpu's and gpu's for consoles, that would be counter productive.
Ergo the pipe dream.

The fact is both game companies and GPU companies benefit greatly form this unoptimized situation. Think about it. The game companies don't have to pay the code monkeys to optimize the code beyond a certain point and in turn requires a brute force approach to running a console game any 360 could run without breaking a sweat.

Therefore necessitating much higher end hardware than would otherwise be necessary. In turn higher sales of higher end products. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE high end hardware. But the lazy/greed approach to getting us there is haphazard, ham fisted and just all kinds of wrong.

Though we did get MLAA and whatever nVidia's solution is called. So, it's not all bad. The worst part however is when a poor kid comes along and reads a min spec and figures his rig is more than enough (where have I heard that before) spend what little hard earned money he has left on a game that just won't run properly on his rig.

Thats bullocks! It happens all the time and is no wonder kids and their parents would rather invest in the console. But the console doesn't drive tech. It drives profit margins. Sorry for the rant. I'm a little more than touchy on the subject.

Go CDProject Red!