Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanrigger View Post
Not giving bad advise. Tell me how a 680 can put out as well as a pair of GTX580s. It aint gonna happen. There is a noticeable difference. If it is noticeable to the eye, it will be more apparent in numbers from a benchmark. Again, if a 680 is noticeable, a 660 surely will be. He is going from a CF config to a single card. If he wants or expects close to the same level of performance, a 660 is not going to do it.

Let us see an actual screeny rather than something that could have been contrived in notepad. Ultimately, it comes to how much money he is willing to spend. If you want the best, then buy the best. A 660 isnt the best by any means. Remember, he isnt going to a single card not because of cost, it is because of a hardware limitation.

Just offering help and a view point from what I have seen myself. Hell, a GTX480 will likely give a 660 a run for its money in raw 3D performance. That I cant confirm myself as I dont have a 660. But my money would be on the 480.
I usually sit on the sidelines and just try and referee some of this discussion but I am going to have to stop you right there.

A 480 is not as good as a 580, and yet the 660TI at 1920x1200 beats it on Crysis 2.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Review

Please make sure you do some proper research before making certain assumptions.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
Allstar

xman, you're so wrong I don't even know where to start, although ST pretty much finished it already.

why don't YOU try out a 660ti on BF3 and show us a video of what you're getting.

-some guy with a gtx 660ti, fx8350, and bf3
Old February 11, 2013, 02:30 AM
Banned

My System Specs

I was offering the op some advice based on what I seen and experienced between a pair of GTX580s and a GTX680. If it is possible to see the difference with your eyes, there obviously is a difference.

Dont tell people a higher end card is a waste of money when it comes to gaming. Hell, an X58 with a GTX680 will rock with the rest.

generic, Go play in traffic.You'll be fine.
Some guy with a GTX680 and no AMD um..stuff

Soul, I never said a GTX480 is as good as a GTX580. I know that for fact. Had a pair of both. I said it would likely stomp a 660\660Ti in raw power. I also said I couldnt confirm this, but would put my money on the 480.
Thanks for the link, and no offense, but I have done research. Also tested with real hardware with real games on a real PC. Or shared from trusted sources. Not just by reading what somebody posted. I am not saying I know everything, not at all. But I know what I have presented here to be true from my testing and experience.
I am not saying the 660Ti, is bad card. To the contrary. But somebody giving up a nice CF setup will more likely than not, be disappointing with a 660Ti. Especially for gaming. The op stated in the opening post he was considering 670/680. Why push him for less? Video is never a bad investment if you spend your money wisely.

Dzzope, If the 660Ti isnt a budget gaming card, then what are the GTX670 and 680?
A GTX660Ti is for somebody that cant afford a GTX670/680. A GTX670 is for somebody that cant afford a 680/690....... Most gamers are going to put the baddest video they can afford into a new Gaming machine or if they are upgrading their current hardware. So Generic and that other guy could only afford a GTX660Ti. Kinda like the poor guy that had to go with a jane GTX660 because he couldn't afford the Ti. That isnt my fault.

You are correct 3DM11 being synthetic. Isnt that what I said with this?
"This isnt real world, but go and run 3DM11 with a pair of GTX580s and then go run it with a single GTX680. Please show me a 680 score higher, both runs at Performance and stock clocks. If you like, I can show you my runs on the same machine."
I used 3DM11 as an example as everyone and their dog has it. But yes, synthetic.

Also as you stated, your card in BF3 was only at 80% load. Wont dispute that. But how fast is that load being processed? As fast as a GTX680? I hope not. Sure a person can clock the shit out of a 660Ti to reach insane speeds. But you take a chance of things going south. Why not just get the suitable card with a good chance there wont be issues with it. Op's limitation was hardware, not cost. I am not going to tell a gamer to get less of a card than he has already chosen. The opposite if anything. I suggested the better of the two.

As far as gba goes, the only fun there was him telling me there is no difference between a pair of GTX580-SLI and a single GTX680 playing BF3. The very game the op mentioned. gba was based on speculation. I was giving him a standpoint from an actual user of both configs. Found it amusing. I had no real problem with much else.

I am done with this.

Back to HiTi's build. As mentioned, the Bitfinx Prodigy looks to be a sweet case. I was going to use one for a m-ITX PhotoShop machine build I did in December. Ended up having to go with a ATX because of m-ITX memory limitations. A full sized video card is supposed to fit in it. It is layed out rather nicely. Looks decently solid also.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I swear to go your purposely picking and choosing what you want from what I'm saying there.

Also no-one ever told me I couldn't afford anything before. If I really WANTED or NEEDED the power your talking about I WOULD HAVE 2 690's and a hex core monster with a billion raided SSD's. Serious go troll else-where.

A 660ti IS NOT A BUDGET CARD. A 680 and 670 are HIGH END, a 660 and 660ti are Medium and below your into low end.. then below this you have BUDGET. Budget is what it says.. BUDGET, bargian basement cheapest you can get that will play the game.

On the 3d mark score.. I already told you why your off whack comparing them... If you limit the frames to 60 FPS it doesn't matter how huge your E-Penis is they will both run at 60 FPS.
Is this needed, for multi-screens, 120hz monitors or high res panels yes.. for 1080, no GFY

Your either so up yourself that you think you need the latest and greatest for everything or your a plain troll.

About GBA's point that you won't notice a difference in BF£ between the 2.. HE'S right your wrong.
Hell 90% of the time you won't notice the difference between a 660ti and a 680 or even the 2x580's... it's only ever in the minimum frames that you will notice a difference.

How fast is the load being processed... at 60 FPS... the same as any other card with v-sync, no matter how big you want your e-peen to be..
Your really grasping at straws here. and this is the poiunt we are trying to make...

Lets use the over-used car analogy. ignore acceleration and focus on speed (as they aren't comparable in that area)
You have a ferarri.. I have a honda civic. we can both go at 60. there is no difference.. now.. when a steep hill comes I may dip a little but not so much as to be useless.. But your car which cost xxx much more won't.. thats the difference we are talking about here... all that extra power you have is unused until the load goes up.. and even BF3 doesn't do it that often as to make a huge difference between a 680 and a 660ti.

Is there a difference, yes of course but only for a small fraction of the time and not the whole idea your trying to ram down our throats of a 660ti isn't up to the job.

p.s a 670 with a VERY mild oc will match a 680.. it is a very poor value card unless you really need the max and don't care about the cost.

As said before it's all down to how much your willing to spend to eliminate them (sub 60fps moments).
Old February 11, 2013, 08:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanrigger View Post
Soul, I never said a GTX480 is as good as a GTX580. I know that for fact. Had a pair of both. I said it would likely stomp a 660\660Ti in raw power. I also said I couldnt confirm this, but would put my money on the 480.
Thanks for the link, and no offense, but I have done research. Also tested with real hardware with real games on a real PC. Or shared from trusted sources. Not just by reading what somebody posted. I am not saying I know everything, not at all. But I know what I have presented here to be true from my testing and experience.
I am not saying the 660Ti, is bad card. To the contrary. But somebody giving up a nice CF setup will more likely than not, be disappointing with a 660Ti. Especially for gaming. The op stated in the opening post he was considering 670/680. Why push him for less? Video is never a bad investment if you spend your money wisely.
Please take a moment and back track what you are saying then Xman. You are saying that you admit a 480 is not as good as a 580 and yet the 660TI beats a 580 in many scenerios? How does that make the 480 Better? It consumes more power, generates more heat, and is less efficent in the use of its architecture. You say you have read up and have real world, I don't quite believe that when your own statement contradicts what many peoples real world experiences are. And, what many other websites out here have already proven beyond just HWC.

No review will ever denote individual experience. I.e. SKY has a great rig, but mine is lesser so therefore card for card my results will be lower. But that scales down with the card used as well, which still makes the 660TI a good midrange choice.

In all honestly besides having Crossfire / Catalyst issues I have no idea why one would want to drop CF in the first place. Its overkill for the setup.
And its not that we push anyone to make a decision that is lesser than what they could have but one thing we like here at HWC is no more than is required at times. Unless the OP knows they are doing something in the future that will require more horsepower.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ST I'm 100% sure Xman is just Trolling think you need to do what I did and just walk away. I have dealt with HiTi lots other then not measuring twice before cutting once :P he is a smart guy who knows what he is doing.

He is downsizing to Mitx, he has also stated a space issue thats why he is not using the 6970's anymore.

He has also stated he is gaming at 1080p so why waste money on a gpu you wont use when he could spend the money on better WC or SSD's plus his PSU doesnt fit so he might need to buy a new one of those as well.

So **** power lets look at spaces? what card is the best gaming card with a tiny little foot print?

670, watercool that cute little card and you save tons for cable management PNY and EVGA make a good one with the mini PCB but the 660Ti watercooled is still a better fit for you HiTi even though it is longer and you will have the cabling to deal with I think the money saved from it and the fact the card just rocks you will be very happy.

Xman please dont quote me as you will be ignored unless you give some real non troll Data and show respect for the OP, forum admins and Forum members.

Plus HiTi we have both had the 6970 crossfire setups and I still even use one of my 6970's in my backup rig, I find my 660 TF OC to actually out preforms it on almost every level as well as games for some reason just look better, but when I had my 7950 I found that card was a great all round gaming card even seemed to run with the 680 setup LP bought off me with no issues at all.

Dont get stuck in the thought you need these huge cards for one LCD but if you plan to go to many Screens down the road think AMD if its one screen thats 1080p go with 660ti if above get the 670 dont waste your time or money on the 680 as thats just a bragging rights card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Please take a moment and back track what you are saying then Xman. You are saying that you admit a 480 is not as good as a 580 and yet the 660TI beats a 580 in many scenerios? How does that make the 480 Better? It consumes more power, generates more heat, and is less efficent in the use of its architecture. You say you have read up and have real world, I don't quite believe that when your own statement contradicts what many peoples real world experiences are. And, what many other websites out here have already proven beyond just HWC.

No review will ever denote individual experience. I.e. SKY has a great rig, but mine is lesser so therefore card for card my results will be lower. But that scales down with the card used as well, which still makes the 660TI a good midrange choice.

In all honestly besides having Crossfire / Catalyst issues I have no idea why one would want to drop CF in the first place. Its overkill for the setup.
And its not that we push anyone to make a decision that is lesser than what they could have but one thing we like here at HWC is no more than is required at times. Unless the OP knows they are doing something in the future that will require more horsepower.

-ST
Old February 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I get ya, I was basically saying that beyond the Case change and mITX setup there was no reason. Going on a HW only comparision.

For what he is doing I feel the majority advice the forum has is sound and he should make a reasonable decision from that point.

-ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
ST I'm 100% sure Xman is just Trolling think you need to do what I did and just walk away. I have dealt with HiTi lots other then not measuring twice before cutting once :P he is a smart guy who knows what he is doing.

He is downsizing to Mitx, he has also stated a space issue thats why he is not using the 6970's anymore.

He has also stated he is gaming at 1080p so why waste money on a gpu you wont use when he could spend the money on better WC or SSD's plus his PSU doesnt fit so he might need to buy a new one of those as well.

So **** power lets look at spaces? what card is the best gaming card with a tiny little foot print?

670, watercool that cute little card and you save tons for cable management PNY and EVGA make a good one with the mini PCB but the 660Ti watercooled is still a better fit for you HiTi even though it is longer and you will have the cabling to deal with I think the money saved from it and the fact the card just rocks you will be very happy.

Xman please dont quote me as you will be ignored unless you give some real non troll Data and show respect for the OP, forum admins and Forum members.

Plus HiTi we have both had the 6970 crossfire setups and I still even use one of my 6970's in my backup rig, I find my 660 TF OC to actually out preforms it on almost every level as well as games for some reason just look better, but when I had my 7950 I found that card was a great all round gaming card even seemed to run with the 680 setup LP bought off me with no issues at all.

Dont get stuck in the thought you need these huge cards for one LCD but if you plan to go to many Screens down the road think AMD if its one screen thats 1080p go with 660ti if above get the 670 dont waste your time or money on the 680 as thats just a bragging rights card.

Old February 11, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
Ya.. that's the worst...I am a tradesman...and should have done just that. I was more excited about cramming a bunch of gear into a small case and made some stupid mistakes. And add one more...as my 1000 w psu is not going to fit either.
Now at least I'll have a week to make some mods to the psu cage on the prodigy,probably sleeve some cables and pick up a gpu and a waterblock for it.
I took a Dremel to my old Antec Solo to make an HD 5870 fit. It's kind of annoying to strip everything, bring the case downtown to work, make the cuts, clean out the metal filings and put it all back together. Then again, it's a good feeling to get the card in there after some handy work.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

HD 7950, HD 7970, GTX 660ti, GTX 670 or GTX 680 will all be more than enough as a single card for running BF3 on max with a single monitor and in 1080. It all depends on what you are willing to spend/what your budget is.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So just for the hell of it I busted out the BF3 for 5 hours on the weekend. multiplayer, single player all settings Ultra at 1080. Average FPS with a MSI 660TF OC was 65fps, high was 110-200(whenever the people stand there talking it goes through the roof on fps) low only saw once when 10 people decided to make as big of a mess in the mid field as they could was 24 for a quarter of a second, single player never dropped under 40fps.

I think the best fit for the game would be the 660Ti as I think it would insure even in those huge battles you never drop under 50fps. But if the budget is the issue go with the 660 you will not be disappointed and OC it a bit over stock.

When I tested I did not overclock the card other then what it came with by factory.