Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2013, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 7970 Oblivion Ed. Extreme settings

Just having some fun with Oblivion. Never got around to actually finishing it. Damn undersea dome/house. I thought I was playing the Sims I guess. At least I never bought horse armor.

I wanted to test how the graphics game was coming along since 2006. I hadn't played since I had my X1950Pro CF setup in another build which never got above 30fps at those gate things. So I reinstalled it to play it before I get Skyrim.

With my newer GPU (7970) I went balls to the wall. The only mods I have installed thus far is Qarl's texture pack and an updated sound package.

I find it funny that in some spots, even without the mods I can get as little as 29fps if I carefully aim in the right direction of nearly empty space. That shows you how really unoptimized some games can really be.

However, with the settings below I can get ungodly framerates and Oblivion never looked better. Every slider in game was maxed as well. Truth be told I never though with such extreme settings with the texture pack that I would get that good a framerate. I thought I was gonna teach this card who was boss. Apparrently...it is.

24xEQ Edge detect with MLAA and HDR!? Yes please! I really need a new 30" monitor though.
Attached Images

Old January 20, 2013, 08:03 AM
Allstar

Too this day, One of my Fav games ever.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well that's the kind of unoptimized programming you get for a console port
Old January 20, 2013, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, seems like since about 2006 there has been a lot of that. Here is to the future and hopefully it will be full of CD Projekt Reds and less of EA/DICE.

I really do like where AMD went with the new game settings page.

Yes Chromey, mine too. But it is it's modability that mad it what it is imho. Without that it would have been much less.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; January 20, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I thought I was gonna teach this card who was boss. Apparrently...it is.

Old January 20, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Heh, I spoke too soon! I was able to drag it down to 6FPS. Thankfully my AA settings are seriously overkill.

Oh! And apparently I did buy horse armor . It came with Knights of the Nine. Yes, I just found that out. I bought Kotn and SI but never installed them until today. But I didn't mean too. THAT's what counts!
Old January 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That's just horse shit! (Pun intended) sadly that's what happens when it's consoles in mind, compare to PC programming.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I did everything I could to bring it to it's knees. I went the extra mile. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that with everything and the kitchen sink on top of the GPU that I was able to get 6fps. Yay me!

But yup, It is a miserable peice of code isn''t it?