Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default With AMD’s Game Bundle Expired, What’s Next?

Having quickly gone through its allotment of free titles, AMD’s aggressive game bundle promo has ended but have we seen the last of the free game inclusion?

Read more here: With AMD?s Game Bundle Expired, What?s Next? | Hardware Canucks
Old January 14, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A tomb raider package will be very nice.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
AMD’s excellent driver development helping things along
Not so fast.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I don't see your point?

I'll draw your attention to this:

Quote:
I can reproduce the flickering/black screens/freezing etc issues people have on my own card simply by overclocking it too far.
No shit.....
Old January 15, 2013, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, that goes without saying. Now, read a little further where this guy's theory is shot down. It's 30+ pages for crying out loud. And I am one of the people suffering from this issue.

I'll post a quote from just down the page:

Quote:
I have the same issue with 12.8 driver and witcher 2, but not as much as in the video. Going back to 12.6 solved it for me.

I also have minior flicker/flashes in various outdoor locations in skyrim, while other (most) areas are flicker free, with both 12.8 and 12.6.

Heroes 6 also hase some radom flicker, tested with 12.4 and 12.6.

I have tried to downclock the gpu and vram a lot, and raise voltage, but the flicker is still present in these games.

I have not seen any flicker in Batman Arkham City, Alan Wake, Metro 2033 or Dead Space 2.

For these reasons I think it might be a driver issue.
I personally started off with the 12.11 Beta's. Going from there I went to 12.10's and most of the problem is gone. Not all but most.

I had a similar experience with my X1950Pro where if I tried to play Far Cry the screen went bananas with every colour in the rainbow using the driver off the disk. It was a bad driver. Very similar to how it behaves now with some games and Unigine Heaven. All went away save for a minor quick white flash just before the daylight bridge swinging scene.

If this was just a bad overclock you would expect it to be most everywhere in most every game. Most of the complaints are not from guy's OC'ing their cards. Though I suspect some may. I am not one of them. But I am suffering from the same problems. It doesn't mess up in BF3 for example. But I didn't bother installing the CAP this time.

I think that over aggressive performance coding and the newness of the GNC architecture and the coders learning curve culminated into this mess. Just a hunch though.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:17 AM

That's really odd. However, if you go back and read some of the reviews we did early in the GCN days, I mentioned over and over again about the Witcher 2 issues. For my testing, that was fixed with 12.9 and it hasn't popped up again since. Otherwise, the HD 7970 GHz in my primary gaming rig hasn't exhibited most of the issues people are talking about in that thread.....but that may be due to the fact that I typically play VERY new games or VERY old games (ie: original Dawn of War, Homeworld, Bioshock, etc.).
Old January 15, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, I'll install the cat 12.9's and see if that helps. Thanks for your feedback SKYMTL. I'll have to pick your brain in another thread. This card I have is actually the Matrix Platinum (I think) you reviewed. Or it might have been AkG.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't really get the AMD bashing lately. People say that it's the drivers fault that most games aren't having good performance or creating video problems.

I've had AMD/ATI cards since 2009 and I never once had problems with any of the cards I had. Nvidia on the other hand I've had many problems with. Most of the time it was Overheating, I've had a BFG card (GT 6600), a XFX card (GS 8400) and a EVGA cards (GS 8400 thanks to XFX burnt GPU), the first two had over heated.

Before anyone says I need to dust off, I did, with a compressed air can. I've also seen some artifacts on screen (could of been because of the overheating though).

But with AMD/ATI, I never did, go figure. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe I am not destined to own a NVIDIA card, or maybe I'm just helping out the competition by buying products from the one that sells less.

I do remember reading a benchmark somewhere three years ago though about how bad NVIDIA card are in terms of temperature and power consumption, I am not sure if they changed since then but really until I get 1 messed up AMD card I'm not gonna try NVIDIA again, since they never failed me yet.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
a XFX card (GS 8400) and a EVGA cards (GS 8400 thanks to XFX burnt GPU), the first two had over heated
I know the mobile versions of these cards had problems (IIRC one of the layers that bonds the card to the PCB got messed up with thermal cycling). I own a "defective" 8400M GS that still hasn't burned.
Oddly I'm in the opposite scenario having killed a Radeon 4850, RMA'd a 4870, then gave up on the 4870 that came back after the repair. ...all that and yet I still own a GeForce 7900GS that won't die

In this generation, nVidia is better in performance/watt at least in the high end, because the 7970GHz edition pulls out all the stops (including power) to trade benchmarks with the GTX 680, in a similar manner to the 4890 back in the DX10.1 gen. See the outrageous dual 7970 designs.

Back to the OP though, I never got lucky enough to need a video card during the same time as a half-decent game bundle promotion. For instance I got my 660Ti in the very small void of there not being a Borderlands 2 promo.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post

I do remember reading a benchmark somewhere three years ago though about how bad NVIDIA card are in terms of temperature and power consumption, I am not sure if they changed since then but really until I get 1 messed up AMD card I'm not gonna try NVIDIA again, since they never failed me yet.
Alot has changed in those 3 years :) Power Consumption and Cooling performance (Especially After Market Cards) have improved phenomenally for NVIDIA imho. Maybe you are destined to only purchase AMD but I wouldn't let a few bad experiences limit your choices. I enjoy AMD and Nvidia equally, with both companies having products I love and hate. Thats just my two cents, take it or leave it. -Cheers :)