Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've had most of my bad times with AMD with my 6850's. I ordered two, and got two different kinds... Both sapphire 6850's but one had 2x6pin connectors, the other had 1x6pin. I hooked them up anyway and tried it out. The one with 1 6 pin died within 2 weeks. I rma'd it and got a matching 2x6 pin one. Then i started having performance issues, where a single card was out performing my xfire'd ones. I would have major screen tearing issues, and then it eventually lead to BSOD's. If i took the cards out and used them alone, they both worked fine, in all 3 psi-e slots. But if i linked them together it was an instant BSOD.

With nvidia, i have had major issues with my gtx 260. It overheated, so i replaced the TIM, it had awful screen tearing, even with v sync on, and in general i didnt like the card...

Now i am running a gtx 470, and it is much MUCH better. I havent gone back to try AMD, but thats not to say i wont. Right now, the 470 is HOT, but fast. Once i put it underwater i dont think there will be any issues, if there are no issues when its running at 94 degrees lmao
Old January 19, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Trocko, It sounds as thought your tearing issue stems from a slow response time from the monitor. When I bought my monitor I went with a higher quality monitor but suffered in the response time.

In some games it looked very similar to tearing as it tried to paint the frames. It simply wasn't fast enough in some titles. But I learned to live with it. Reminding myself of how great it looked even if it was a little slower.

Funny thing is, my 52" HDTV runs at near the same res but is much faster. At least sitting eight feet away it's not bad. I do want a Dell U3011 though. /drool

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; January 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm still trying to sell my 2nd promo code, I got 2 sets from crossfire