Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2013, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
I don't really get the AMD bashing lately. People say that it's the drivers fault that most games aren't having good performance or creating video problems.
I do remember reading a benchmark somewhere three years ago though about ho
Lately?

Seriously though, Your not going to get any AMD bashing if people aren't having genuine issues with their cards/drivers. If you have a bad driver it will show up in reviews and on forums. It's that simple. For example, I NEVER had a problem with my HD 4890 nor my HD5870. Both cards and the drivers for them for the most part were great. Lacking in horsepower somewhat especially with tessellation.

But aside from that they played all my games at 1900x1200 with aplomb. But here I have this 7970 (factory OC'ed) and was a review sample so I though that it may have been stressed too much during the review screwing the core or perhaps some heavy OC after the fact. But it does not appear to be the case.

I see your running an HD6950. This is part of what people have been saying, or rather speculating, that the transition from the old architecture (Very Long Instruction Word) to the new (Graphics Core Next) has been...problematic. If you really search the problem out, you will find cases of people experiencing corruption on certain titles and not others going way back to it's launch. This is how you can tell between a bad card and a bad driver.

But in this case, because the length of the problem. I'm wondering if it's a flawed design. It's happened before.

Edit: Another hint is when The GPU or ram is actually cooked, it won't be random. It will fail (Artifact) constantly in every game. Because it simply can no longer work as it is supposed to regardless of application or driver version.

I can play BF3 and Dues EX : HR and Supreme Commander without ever seeing any artifacts. But the Benchmarks Heaven Ver.3 and Stone Giant artifact. With certain drivers, very heavily. Dirt 2 didn't seem to have corruption neither. But Crysis 2 most certainly does.

Unfortunately, I have little time to test a bunch of games. But my small sample seems to be indicative of what most people with 78xx and 79xx series cards are reporting.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; January 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This goes way beyond the latest gen.. my old 5770 artifacted in some titles and not others.
As it turns out my friend with a 5870 has the exact same problems in the same titles that I had.. Some games just don't like AMD cards..

Note that in my case it was AA that wasn't being liked and had to turn it off in said games to resolve.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, I thought I could pin it down. In the Unigine Heaven benchmark I tried everything. DX,9,10,11 With and without AF/AA. Tessellation on/off. Even tried several 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Reduced the factory over clock to GHz edition levels. I'm not much into overclocking GPU's but have OC all my CPU's for years. So I even reduced my CPU from 3.8GHz to 3.2 GHz.

Some settings would result in more artifacting (white flashing) and some less. But it never completely goes away. I have read that some have had good results increasing the core voltage a bit if the stock OC voltage isn't enough for the clocks set. I am hesitant to play with it because it isn't warranted. I did notice the the VCCD Memory Power Temperature got to 74c under load. Unfortunately I haven't a klinkers clue if that is good, bad or otherwise.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
I don't really get the AMD bashing lately. People say that it's the drivers fault that most games aren't having good performance or creating video problems.

I've had AMD/ATI cards since 2009 and I never once had problems with any of the cards I had. Nvidia on the other hand I've had many problems with. Most of the time it was Overheating, I've had a BFG card (GT 6600), a XFX card (GS 8400) and a EVGA cards (GS 8400 thanks to XFX burnt GPU), the first two had over heated.

Before anyone says I need to dust off, I did, with a compressed air can. I've also seen some artifacts on screen (could of been because of the overheating though).

But with AMD/ATI, I never did, go figure. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe I am not destined to own a NVIDIA card, or maybe I'm just helping out the competition by buying products from the one that sells less.

I do remember reading a benchmark somewhere three years ago though about how bad NVIDIA card are in terms of temperature and power consumption, I am not sure if they changed since then but really until I get 1 messed up AMD card I'm not gonna try NVIDIA again, since they never failed me yet.
A lot of stuff is situationally based , when people have issues with one manufacturer over another.
You say for example that you have had no issues, but if you don't play every single game on the market chances are you will most of the time get away scott free.
However, say like myself you played EVE Online with a pair of 6950's, it would have been an exersise in futility to ever get them to mesh right with that game.
Or, your friend with 6850's and WoW.

Now, A lot has changed even for them that might make me go towards an 8XXX series card in the future given that they are putting more honest development into there driver division. Currently as it stands, nVidia has done a great job of not making HOT power hungry cards anymore. Kepler is the pinicle of that design philosophy. Not saying nVidia is not without fault, but I have found less wrong with them over the years.
And, historically I use both in the house (wife usually AMD, myself nVidia).

My Thoughts,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2013, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Update. What I thought was a white flash was actually missing textures! When I ran the heaven benchmark as the camera pans the front of the ship at the 69 tenths of a second mark at 49 seconds the ship completely disappears. Thanks Fraps! I was able to capture that. So It wasn't corrupt at all but missing entirely!

This happens at random times and doesn't always. Sometimes it's different textures like an entire building. Methinks it's overly aggressive drivers.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing?
Old January 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

I've been using ATI/AMD since the 9xxx era, (9600 pro, X1900XT, 2900XT, 4870, 5870, 6970, 7970) skipped the 3k HD series and got myself a 9800GT instead. Funny enough, nearly every ATI/AMD card I owned was Sapphire (even when I tell myself I'll buy a different brand!), except the 7970.

I've seen both sides of the spectrum, and they both have their driver problems, as well as downfalls in each generation. For each complaint one side has, the other side has something equal, believe me when I say that.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post
I've been using ATI/AMD since the 9xxx era, (9600 pro, X1900XT, 2900XT, 4870, 5870, 6970, 7970) skipped the 3k HD series and got myself a 9800GT instead. Funny enough, nearly every ATI/AMD card I owned was Sapphire (even when I tell myself I'll buy a different brand!), except the 7970.

I've seen both sides of the spectrum, and they both have their driver problems, as well as downfalls in each generation. For each complaint one side has, the other side has something equal, believe me when I say that.
Its been on both sides of the fence, for the longest time on so many issues. But realistically what makes the biggest difference to me is how the company handles it, and the support level we get.
Something that AMD has struggled more than nVidia with for the longest time (IMO).

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post

Ha! Sounds eerily similar to me. Though, after 3dfx was bought by nVidia and refused to support my card thereafter a swore I would never get an nVidia card. Technically, I never did. But I did just trade my 5870 for a GTX 295 to play with.

I really like the performance of this 7970 if I could just get it to draw all textures at all times.
I thought I had a problem with getting sound from the GTX but Great Big Abyss came to the rescue and sent me an S/PDIF cable that fixed it.

The 7970 I have has four DP and two DVI but no internal S/PDIF so I have been forced to use my head phones off the sound card. It is a sweet card but I don't see an advantage to having four DP and no HDMI. Especially if you can't get sound to your TV via DVI>HDMI.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. Olditis is setting in. But yeah, I know, I have seen plenty of people with diver issues on both red and green teams.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:44 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Anyone with issues should SERIOUSLY try the 13.1 drivers.

The release notes are quick telling of the mountain of issues: AMD Catalyst Software Suite Version 13.1 Release Notes
Old January 17, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yeah, the rumor was it was supposed to be out yesterday. Thanks for the link SKY.