Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2013, 10:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Releases ARES II Graphics Card w/ Dual HD 7970 GHz Cores

Featuring dual AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition GPUs, 6GB GDDR5 memory and a liquid/air cooling system the ARES II redefines graphic performance.

AMD never did release their rumored HD 7990 but they have left designs for dual HD 7970 designs in the hands of their capable board partners. PowerColor was first out of the gate with the fairly impressive Devil 13, a massive card that featured two overclocked HD 7970 cores and an epic cooling assembly. Now ASUS is getting into the game with the ARES II.

Read more here: ASUS Releases ARES II Graphics Card w/ Dual HD 7970 GHz Cores | Hardware Canucks
Old January 7, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. What a novel cooling system. About time we see an LCS for a video card. I wonder if we'll ever see aftermarket LCS's at all, or if the current crop of GPU's are just so damn efficient that a single GPU card would never warrant such a solution.

Anyways, I can't wait to see some benchmarks from this thing. I'm not entirely convinced that AMD has caught up to Nvidia when it comes to Crossfire vs SLI efficiency and scaling (as was shown with the Devil 13). I suppose it may have to do with the bridge chip that is inevitably included on this card.

EDIT:

Sky, maybe you can explain something to me.

The new generation of chips (Tahiti and Kepler) are arguably more efficient than their predecessors (Cayman and Fermi) providing more performance with lower power consumption.

Look at the comparison here between the 7970 vs the 6970. The 7970 is drawing 9 less peak watts than the 6970.

So, why then, does the 'new' generation of AMD Dual GPU cards (Devil 13 & Ares II) require three 8-pin power connectors, while the previous, more power hungry dual GPU 6990 required only two? What makes these new dual GPU cards so much more power hungry than their predecessor, or even the GTX690?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; January 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:18 AM

I see one issue with it though: Say I have one of the many cases with a single rear exhaust fan but I'm already using an AIO unit for CPU cooling. What then?
Old January 7, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) See edit above

2) In my case, I would install the CPU LCS as it already is, exhausting air out the back of the case. I would then install the GPU LCS to intake air through the bottom of the case, through a dust filter, of course. Alternatively, I could remove the case's front intake fan, and use the GPU LCS to either intake or exhaust in it's place, keeping an eye out for positive pressure.

Then again, I have a case that was designed around a plethora of cooling solutions, so depending on your case, YMMV.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 7, 2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
So, why then, does the 'new' generation of AMD Dual GPU cards (Devil 13 & Ares II) require three 8-pin power connectors, while the previous, more power hungry dual GPU 6990 required only two? What makes these new dual GPU cards so much more power hungry than their predecessor, or even the GTX690?
They don't "require". Like any good e-peen contest, # of connectors is being used as a purely marketing-focused initiative.

However, that isn't to say that extreme overclockers won't need the added current at some point....
Old January 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most cases these days have top and side mount points for cooling, not to mention bottom or front (if it would reach),
I would expect some one that dropping probably ~$900 - $1100 on a GPU to be able to get a new case to suit or have theirs mod'd so it can take it.

Not really a valid "against" point IMO

I am interested to see how good the crossfire is on it though.

On the 6990.. weren't they running cut down / scaled back cores to keep the power and heat in-check...
That they are running 2 full version ghz edition cores and overclocking them shows how much better they are.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The 6990 was running lower clocked chips but they could be ran at regular 6970 levels with a flick of the switch.... LOVE this card on the other hand I want it badly... Just not a huge fan of it being amd (bad experience with drivers) but hey maybe this card is different
Old January 8, 2013, 07:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think it's a bit late to release it,new series coming,so...i don't think a lot of people will buy it...
It's more a product for the fans of epicness i think,and for collections^^.

three 8pin, smells like 400w+
Old January 8, 2013, 08:53 AM

There's always a new series coming. If manufacturers had only that in mind, they'd only release reference versions....
Old January 8, 2013, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There's always a new series coming. If manufacturers had only that in mind, they'd only release reference versions....
Variety is the spice of life, I am okay with these units, not that I can afford them but I like the engineering that goes into them.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com