Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2013, 09:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question EVGA Geforce GTX 560 help?

Hello....
Thanks for welcoming me to the forums.

My question is should i upgrade my graphic card to a higher card? I am currently using a EVGA Geforce GTX 560 1GB graphics card on a BenQ 27 inch monitor 1920x1080 resolution. It seems like its really stressing the card on some games as i like to play games on very high resolution, sometimes red dots appear on the monitor or the game will lag once for like a second every hour of playing. So is this card good for this screen or should i consider upgrading my card to say a 570 or 580? The game i am currently having this problem on is GTA4, but i don't understand why it is doing this because i have way more than enough performance specs then what the game calls for. GTA4 for pc requires Windows Vista service pack 1 or XP service pack 3, an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or AMD Anthlon X2 64 2.4Ghz, 1.5Gb vista/1Gb XP, Video card - 256Mb NVIDIA 7900/ or 256Mb ATI X1900.

My Specs are:
Windows 7 64 Bit Service pack 1
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz @ 3.33Ghz completely stable 100%
6Gb of Adata Ram
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 1Gb Video card GDDR5
BenQ GW2750 specs at this link BenQ GW2750HM Review

So what i really want to know is my Graphics card good enough to play on a 27 inch monitor on 1920x1080 resolution?

Thank you for looking at this post, hope someone can help me out!!
Old January 6, 2013, 04:14 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Hi BradM.

Im sure you wanna upgrade the processor before you upgrade your graphic card. :-)
The Core2Quad is an old lady and is bottlenecking the GTX560.

Ru88er-DucK
First post yahoo! ;-)
Old January 6, 2013, 04:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru88er-DucK View Post
Hi BradM.

Im sure you wanna upgrade the processor before you upgrade your graphic card. :-)

Ru88er-DucK
First post yahoo! ;-)
Thanks for replying and maybe but according to the benchmark program in gta 4 that benchmarks everything to see what your using it only says im using 50 percent of my cpu and 50 percent of my ram and 100 of my video card but back to what you were saying how does the cpu bottleneck the graphics card? Thanks for your response Ru88er-DucK!! :)
Old January 6, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

GTA4 is terribly optimized for PC, upgrading your PC won't net you much performance.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For GTA4 your computer is more than able to handle everything the game can dish out. I wouldn't bother upgrading for that game. When you do upgrade I would agree that a cpu/motherboard/ram upgrade should come before another graphics card.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru88er-DucK View Post
Hi BradM.

She is an old bird that still kicks ass. My Q6600 still pushes the info to mu GPU at 1080p in 64 player BF3.

@Brad As for the red dots, I'm not sure. Is the card overclocked? Sounds like the GPU is toast. I would recommend getting a GPU with at least 2Gb's of vram. especially if you want higher resolutions and eye candy. But at only 1080p you should be OK.

Have another GPU you can test with? The CPU is long in the tooth but until you run into situations where your CPU is struggling and your GPU is bored you'll be fine with it. Just turn down the settings until you can afford to upgrade your entire system. Haswell is coming.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
For GTA4 your computer is more than able to handle everything the game can dish out. I wouldn't bother upgrading for that game. When you do upgrade I would agree that a cpu/motherboard/ram upgrade should come before another graphics card.
Yes i have been thinking of it for a while Bond007, i was thinking of building an AMD system, because an AMD processor isn't as costly as an Intel processor. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

-BradM-
Old January 6, 2013, 05:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
GTA4 is terribly optimized for PC, upgrading your PC won't net you much performance.
That seems to be true as i have read a lot of reviews on the game in the past and where people said they were having problems on there system and they had the new i7, 580 etc, basically a really high end gaming system. So it could just be the game i just hope GTA 5 isn't like that. Thanks for your reply supaflyx3 much appreciated!!!

-BradM-
Old January 6, 2013, 05:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
She is an old bird that still kicks ass. My Q6600 still pushes the info to mu GPU at 1080p in 64 player BF3.

@Brad As for the red dots, I'm not sure. Is the card overclocked? Sounds like the GPU is toast. I would recommend getting a GPU with at least 2Gb's of vram. especially if you want higher resolutions and eye candy. But at only 1080p you should be OK.

Have another GPU you can test with? The CPU is long in the tooth but until you run into situations where your CPU is struggling and your GPU is bored you'll be fine with it. Just turn down the settings until you can afford to upgrade your entire system. Haswell is coming.
Yes I agree it is a very amazing CPU for its age and i may of found the problem to as why the red dots were appearing, i noticed that i had unistalled precision x, it comes with EVGA cards, and what i noticed was thst the fan didnt speed up as the GPU got hot so the fan was only spinning at around 1000Rpm when it should be kicking up as the GPU gets hotter so i fxed that and now the fan amps up to keep the card cool, so im just playing right now to see if the red dots come back, and yes 2gb or higher Vram would be better. Thanks for the reply IRQ Conflict

-BradM-
Only time will tell!!!
Old January 6, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

you can still survive with 1gb video cards (mine is a gtx 460 768mb)...it just means in you have to ditch settings like anti-aliasing/supersampling/etc on new vram heavy games (many games its not a factor at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Yes i have been thinking of it for a while Bond007, i was thinking of building an AMD system, because an AMD processor isn't as costly as an Intel processor. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

-BradM-
AMD processors are cheaper, but they are also more power hungry and not up to par in gaming compared to their intel counterparts. I have AMD in my computer now, but they are not the way to go for a gaming computer at this point in time (unless its only low game settings that you require, in which case AMD APU are great).