Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Yes I agree it is a very amazing CPU for its age and i may of found the problem to as why the red dots were appearing, i noticed that i had unistalled precision x, it comes with EVGA cards, and what i noticed was thst the fan didnt speed up as the GPU got hot so the fan was only spinning at around 1000Rpm when it should be kicking up as the GPU gets hotter so i fxed that and now the fan amps up to keep the card cool, so im just playing right now to see if the red dots come back, and yes 2gb or higher Vram would be better. Thanks for the reply IRQ Conflict

-BradM-
Only time will tell!!!
High temps could definitely cause you graphics card to start doing odd things. Hopefully that sorts your issues out. Make sure the heatsink is clean. I am not familiar with evga precision x usefullness, but you could also try msi afterburner to make a custom fan profile and check GPU usage/temps/fan speed/etc if you think it may be a problem.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
High temps could definitely cause you graphics card to start doing odd things. Hopefully that sorts your issues out. Make sure the heatsink is clean. I am not familiar with evga precision x usefullness, but you could also try msi afterburner to make a custom fan profile and check GPU usage/temps/fan speed/etc if you think it may be a problem.
The EVGA precision x does all of that which is nice and everything is clean of dust, it seems to be fixing my problem. Thanks for your reply.

-BradM-
Old January 6, 2013, 06:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
you can still survive with 1gb video cards (mine is a gtx 460 768mb)...it just means in you have to ditch settings like anti-aliasing/supersampling/etc on new vram heavy games (many games its not a factor at all).

AMD processors are cheaper, but they are also more power hungry and not up to par in gaming compared to their intel counterparts. I have AMD in my computer now, but they are not the way to go for a gaming computer at this point in time (unless its only low game settings that you require, in which case AMD APU are great).
Thanks that helps me out a lot more :)

-BradM-
Old January 6, 2013, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They're essentialy the same program IIRC. The main reason I prefer(red) AB to precision X is that AB has the ability to separate the graph display from the main body.

So extra airflow seems to be working for you? I was going to suggest you peg the fan @ 100% just to see if it makes the issue go away. You can also try with the case side off and a house fan blowing fresh air into the case in order to see if there might be an issue with case airflow.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 6, 2013, 06:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
They're essentialy the same program IIRC. The main reason I prefer(red) AB to precision X is that AB has the ability to separate the graph display from the main body.

So extra airflow seems to be working for you? I was going to suggest you peg the fan @ 100% just to see if it makes the issue go away. You can also try with the case side off and a house fan blowing fresh air into the case in order to see if there might be an issue with case airflow.
Yes the fan being able to speed up when the graphics card gets hotter is really helping because before when i didn't have precision x i don't remember uninstalling it but before the card fan wouldn't go higher than 30% speed but now its on auto and the fan will sometimes hit 70% speed when i gaming for a long period of time. Thanks for your reply and suggestions on getting fresh air to the card.

-BradM-