Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Watercool my GTX 470 or replace (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/58852-watercool-my-gtx-470-replace.html)

b1lk1 January 1, 2013 08:22 AM

Watercool my GTX 470 or replace

It's gonna cost ~$140 to watercool my GPU. Only Dazmode has a heatsink available for it. Card overclocks very very well, would be able to run 800MHz core all day long with better cooling.

I've been looking at a HD 7850 2GB for ~$170 shipped to me and it does out perform the GTX470 ever so slightly and it DOES support multi monitors which is a pipe dream of mine to do this year for a driving sim so crossfired HD 7850's would do that well.

Anyhow, not really much money to spend right now, just looking for opinions.

ilya January 1, 2013 08:29 AM

The block is going to cost at least as much as the current resale value of your card. It's still a good card though, up to you if you think it's worth it after taking that into consideration.

blueem2 January 1, 2013 08:58 AM

If your motherboard supports SLI you can get a second 470 for cheap which will blow watercooling your current card away and the performance of a 7850 for the most part. If you cannot SLI I would upgrade cards.

KaptCrunch January 1, 2013 09:03 AM

other issue is whats the 470 mated with old or new MB of chipsets

The P35 is PCIe 1.1 so save my monies and go new system if gaming is the chore

Dzzope January 1, 2013 09:57 AM

get a second-hand block?

IMO, unless your really want to I wouldn't bother putting it under water, not really worth the cost.
As for upgrading, I tend to wait till I can afford a single card that is around twice as powerful as my current.

Could go the dual card route but cpu/bus will probably limit you on 2 470's and then there really is the power and heat to worry about.

b1lk1 January 1, 2013 10:58 AM

I could also switch around the GPU's in my kid's PC's and grab a HD 7770 out of one and crossfire those in my PC, that would be cheap. I just may do that. I hate to spend $140 on a GPU heatsink, but the noise from this cards fan is killing me, I can hear it 2 rooms away when it gets hot.

WhippWhapp January 1, 2013 12:57 PM

The only way I can see it being worth it is if you can get a block on the cheap- not wanting to take a sale from Daz, but that's my take on it.

Given your hardware, I'd say it's money better put towards an upgrade elsewhere.

Another option is to add one of the Asetek gpu kits as a separate loop.

Fudd Rucker January 1, 2013 12:58 PM

I second the crossfiring the 7770s. I just went from a GTX 470 sli setup to a single card solution and the noise has dropped signifigantly. The 4xx series of cards were great (still have a watercooled 480 sli) in my other rig. But unless you were willing to watercool them - and it this point I wouldnt say its worth it considering the card is worth as much as the cooling solution.

GT7R January 1, 2013 01:56 PM

I'd sell that card and buy a new one with the 170$ + resale money from the card. Investing 170$ in such an old card isn't worth it imo.

Bond007 January 1, 2013 03:01 PM

I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of the block vs the value of the card. Sell it and get something new. With what you get for selling the 470 and the money for the cost of the block you could likely get a gtx660.