Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Default Power Color HD 7870 MYST Version vs GIGABYTE Radeon 7870

Hey guys both cards are on sale for the same price

Newegg.ca - PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 7870 MYST. Edition (Tahiti LE) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (UEFI Ready)
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

As seen above, the GIGABYTE version has way more positive reviews.

However, i recently discovered that the MYST version of 7870 is actually a better card because it has a higher memory clock and is closer to the 7950. Which would be a better buy? Wouldn't one fan create more heat/noise?

Please guide me as I am building a new PC. thank you
Old December 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

that myst edition is a 7930 or 7890 take it the way you will (tahiti LE) whereas 7870 and 7850 are pitcairn based XT and PRO, so yeh the single fan would be noisier in one sence, but at least it would keep the whole card properly cooled, unlike the gigabyte one which generally only cools the core very well and the memory/Vreg so so. The tri-fan is also apprently fairly loud when it needs to ramp up.

I would go for the Myst one, and just change the thermal paste or even get a better aftermarket cooling fan for it(those stock blower fans are a pain in the butt to keep clean) would be cool to see what kind of mining performance those tahiti LE get :O
Old December 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks man
Old December 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd go for the Myst one just for the name. Ah, memories. You might want to get it from NCIX though. $214.00 after rebates.

Edit: Oh, and here is a review for ya! Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
Rookie

I'm just concerned about the single fan noise
Old December 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your not happy with the fan after you purchase it you could always water cool it. Big rad big slow fan = very quiet.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:31 PM
Rookie

How much would water cooling take and how much would it cost?
Old January 1, 2013, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's a good question that is multi faceted. Best asked here methinks.

Sometimes an all in one is not available so you have to go custom. And make sure your tower will accommodate the parts. Rad/reservoir etc.

You will probably find everything you need here. As long as the Myst is based on the reference design. I haven't looked into it myself.

Edit: Here is a pic of the Myst. And I think a reference 7870.

Edit#2: Confirmed, the pics in the second link are indeed reference. So it looks like your good to go.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; January 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The one thing you''ll notice out of the box, based on what I've read is that the Gigabyte device can evenly cool the board, and since you have tri-fans the work load to cool isn't as great. You won't have the fan processing faster. Water-cooling is pricy, but if your PC is intended for years of use, perhaps looking into it. If you're like some enthusiasts putting it together and replacing, it may be more viable to keep it fan-based
Old January 2, 2013, 08:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

With downblowing fans on the gpu, you really need to make sure you have proper case ventilation to vent out the gpu heat more than anything. Downblowing triple and double fans are nice and all, but they just dump the heat back into the case. And if you need 4 -6 fans going faster to get rid of that heat , it negates the point of more fans on the gpu.

I would personally go with something using a blower style cooler and be done with it. I went that route with my GTX 680 since I have an extremely small form factor pc to dump all heat out of my case. My temps are good and the system is pretty quiet.