Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Help picking a GPU (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/58736-help-picking-gpu.html)

wbartlebaugh December 26, 2012 03:43 PM

Help picking a GPU

Hey everyone, i am building a new gaming pc and all i need is the gpu but i have no clue even were to start. My specs so far are, I5 3570k, Asrock extream4 gen3 with 8Gb of ram, and a 600 watt psu. any help would be much appreciated. also my monitor is 22" so its not like in using anything huge.
thank you for reading, please help. Oh i am also really trying to get a nividia card.

sswilson December 26, 2012 03:53 PM

Budget?

wbartlebaugh December 26, 2012 05:06 PM

budget is no more then 200 after tax, i know its low

wbartlebaugh December 26, 2012 05:11 PM

I am thinking about a gtx 560 Ti

Bond007 December 26, 2012 06:41 PM

With that budget you have to go last gen 560ti(cheapest, but most power hungry), newer 650ti(slower than the 560ti, but much better efficiency), or the best performance for your budget would be a hd 7850(still good efficiency and best performing with your budget).If you can spare a few extra $ you could grab a gtx660, which is faster than all the others I mentioned. I believe there is one on sale now for $200+ tax and shipping, but there is a $20 mir.

Is your budget firm?
Does it have to be nvidia?
Do you care about the efficiency drop of last gen parts?

Answer those questions and you will have the answer to which type of card to buy, and then we can guide you if you need it to a specific model or deal.

wbartlebaugh December 26, 2012 06:57 PM

The budget is firm for the next few months until i can get a job and see that i can get away with. yes i would much rather have a nividia card, am abit of a fan boy with my 8800gt (a friend gave a me a while ago.). as far as dated to newer cards and parts. it makes no difference to, i am looking for the best bang for the buck card.

Bond007 December 26, 2012 07:17 PM

With the firm budget and wanting to go nvidia, a 560ti is going to be the best fps you can get then. Can't say I remember seeing any good deals on them this week, but I am sure there is one somewhere.

great_big_abyss December 26, 2012 10:32 PM

MSI Radeon HD 7870 OC Twin Frozr III 1050MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card

I know you want an Nvidia card, but this get you the most fps for $200

wbartlebaugh December 27, 2012 07:17 PM

Im not going purely for fps tho, i want texture, detail, good physics. 60fps is good and all but with no texture and details, its just kinda blah...

Generic User #2 December 28, 2012 05:31 AM

i'm not sure what you mean.....

FPS and detail is a tradeoff. if you have more FPS than you need/want, then go turn up your detail settings.

you don't buy a card that is 'good at details' or is 'good at more FPS'. you buy rendering power and you divide it between FPS and image quality (details).