Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   7970 + 6950= gaming bliss? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/58297-7970-6950-gaming-bliss.html)

HoserEh December 4, 2012 04:13 PM

7970 + 6950= gaming bliss?

I recently did a system upgrade and I have my old 6950 kickin around, I could sell it or pop it into my wifes web surfin machine.But i was wondering if i could CF the 7970 with 6950 (I assume no) and if no could use it for ohysics offload and the such.

great_big_abyss December 4, 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoserEh (Post 675461)
I recently did a system upgrade and I have my old 6950 kickin around, I could sell it or pop it into my wifes web surfin machine.But i was wondering if i could CF the 7970 with 6950 (I assume no) and if no could use it for ohysics offload and the such.

Short, easy answer: No.

Sell it and recoup some of your money. You could get $175 - $200 for it...

Bond007 December 4, 2012 04:50 PM

As mentioned above.

Arinoth December 4, 2012 05:24 PM

Nope, different architectures and only physics benefits you'd get is if that card was an nvidia one

tethlah December 5, 2012 06:16 AM

Think of it this way, pretty much anything that runs in tandem with another part in a computer will throttle itself to match the lower performing part in order to keep from damage or the creation of a black hole in your computer (sounds like it could be fun, but trust me, black holes, while fun to play with, do not belong anywhere near your GPU)

Master_Shake_ December 5, 2012 06:21 AM

im gonna try that on one of my hydra boards and see if i can "crossfire" a 7970 with a 6970.

great_big_abyss December 5, 2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ (Post 675563)
im gonna try that on one of my hydra boards and see if i can "crossfire" a 7970 with a 6970.

It just won't work. The way the two different architectures process data and render pixels is completely different. The 7XXX series was essentially a complete re-invention of graphics technology.

But, if you really want to put two cards on the same board and install a crossfire connector, good luck. I'm pretty sure you won't blow anything up, but have fun getting to play together at all.

Bloodystumps December 5, 2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 675567)
It just won't work. The way the two different architectures process data and render pixels is completely different. The 7XXX series was essentially a complete re-invention of graphics technology.

But, if you really want to put two cards on the same board and install a crossfire connector, good luck. I'm pretty sure you won't blow anything up, but have fun getting to play together at all.

if he means hydra as in Hydra lucid it shouldn't be to much trouble and he may benefit from it ..

I messed around with mine when I first got it but couldn't be bothered any more because all my gear is under water and I didn't have the time to re plumber everything ever time and I ended up stuffing my GTX280 in my HTPC

great_big_abyss December 5, 2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 675586)
if he means hydra as in Hydra lucid it shouldn't be to much trouble and he may benefit from it ..

Cool. Didn't know that was a thing. Sounds like fun! This is my new thing learned for the day.

Master_Shake_ December 5, 2012 08:08 AM

Pure Black P67 Hydra (PB-CI7S42P67)

this board