Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Question Question: GTX 680 with 4GB GDDR5?

Hi,

I notice there are several GTX 680 with 4GB GDDR5 memory, which one are you recommending as the best of the round-up?

Thank you,

CG
Old November 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you plan on running nvidia surround, if the answer is no then the 4GB models are really for bragging rights and you'll never even 3/4 of that video ram at 1080p
Old November 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Do you plan on running nvidia surround, if the answer is no then the 4GB models are really for bragging rights and you'll never even 3/4 of that video ram at 1080p
I would like to see benches as well with the new Kepler cores vs the Fermi Ones. After all, there were situations where the 3GB RAM cards actually lost performance in certain situations.

But, to the OP. What Arinoth says is very correct.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Generally speaking it's always been that video cards and computers suffered slightly in performance (think overclocking with two sticks of ram vs. four) I think because of timing issues.

However you will be better off with a three or four GB model when using high res textures. And yes, multi monitor setups use extreme resolutions as well. But even a single monitor at 2560x1600 with a texture pack would benefit greatly from more ram.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There would be some benefit to more ram, but as it stands, the kepler cards use thier memory very efficently. 6800 with 2gb ram running said ram at 6Ghz effective giving was it 192gb/sec is very fast and ample. I do not think I have heard of anyone running out of ram even using high res texture packs and such on the 680. Now as mentioned, using Nvidia surround and popping res above the magical 2560x1440 will chew more ram. I have a freind using one for his triple screen 120Hz setup, and its not the lack of ram that kills the performance, its the lack of horsepower at those resolutions.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Rookie

Question

Hi fellows,

Any chance some pundits can answer my OP question?

Thank you,

CG
Old November 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be partial to EVGA for the warranty, or MSI for the Twin Frozr cooling.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm a huge fan of DCUII video cards by ASUS. They make it in the 680 4 gig flavour.

Make sure you have a case that can handle it. It needs 3 slots and good case airflow. It is quiet and quite ocable with stock cooler.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

unless you're running 3 monitor its not necessary and my 680 lightning (2gb) does fine with my triple monitor setup

Keep in mind that you're not increasing memory bandwidth only the amount of available memory (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's still limited by the bottleneck of the 256 bit memory interface.

I would go with a high end 2gb version if you want 4gb buy the classified (one with the evbot plug if you can find one like that) or msi, the cooling is comparable to asus direct cu II without the ugly honking huge heatsink (asus directcu II is not as good as they advertise and can easily be made into a 2 slot with the same performance, I had one and it didn't provide any better temps than the twin frozr IV that i switched to)

If water cooling go with any reference if you want a cheaper block or the classified especially if you can find one with evbot plug

Last edited by magiwizard; November 27, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Keep in mind he's not asking WHETHER he should go 4GB, but which card? The OP has made his decision already that he needs the extra RAM.