Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum Edition Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/57899-asus-hd-7970-matrix-platinum-edition-review-comment-thread.html)

wirerogue November 15, 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 670978)
What are your overclocks like?

it does 1300mhz easily enough. works fine in all my games and benchmarks except for the unigine heaven benchmark. i get some artifacting at 1300 even with the voltage maxed out. so, for every day use, i run it at 1275 with 1.3v at 100% LLC. i bumped the memory speed up 6700 with no increase in memory voltage.

this card overclocks great for dummies like me that aren't very good at overclocking.

a small issue with the new version of ASUS GPU Tweak 2.2.8 off the ASUS website. it wouldn't correctly monitor GPU usage. so, i went back to 2.2.12 that came on the driver cd and it worked fine.

even when overclocked, temps rarely get above the low 60s under full load.

so far, i am very happy with this card.

Masteroderus November 15, 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 671006)
I would be interested in crossfire temps, my two Asus DCII's are so tight with 3 slots that the trapped card get really hot. I am probably going to put a couple of 120s on the top of the cards to help out. Ticked me off to be honest since I went for silence.

The only problem with the dcuII as opposed to say, a sapphire toxic phase change cooler is the exhaust doesn't get channeled out of the case as much. There is a whole lot more hot air being blown off the card and into your case.

I think the best approach is to have a good exhaust fan (cpu exhaust fan) and then make sure there is strong positive pressure in the case.

If you can put a large 230mm fan, or a couple of 140mm/120mm fans right over the video cards it should help a lot.

Could you possibly post a pic of your rig? I have only seen one rig with 2xDCUII cooler cards and it looked awesome.

GT7R November 15, 2012 11:30 AM

Wow. What a huge impact AMD did with their latest drivers... Kudos to them, hope it ain't gonna be a one-off.

BlueByte November 15, 2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 671032)
The only problem with the dcuII as opposed to say, a sapphire toxic phase change cooler is the exhaust doesn't get channeled out of the case as much. There is a whole lot more hot air being blown off the card and into your case.

I think the best approach is to have a good exhaust fan (cpu exhaust fan) and then make sure there is strong positive pressure in the case.

If you can put a large 230mm fan, or a couple of 140mm/120mm fans right over the video cards it should help a lot.

Could you possibly post a pic of your rig? I have only seen one rig with 2xDCUII cooler cards and it looked awesome.

I posted a pic in the case thread

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post671093

Yes these cards do not exhaust as much as they should, and the back plates get hot even with decent air flow over them. right now with a custom fan profile 100% fan will keep the cramped card at 77ish. 100% fan speed is not my idea of tranquil though. I have put a small rubber foot between the two cards and screwed them in such a way to allow the largest gap between the cards. I should have gone with gigabyte cards to allow for a full slot space between the two. but I was sucked in by marketing of 3 slot massive coolers. There were a few other problems with the TOP cards as well, voltage locking :angry2:

NyteOwl November 15, 2012 05:59 PM

Performance is impressive, but if these things keep getting larger and hotter they'll be encapsulated in heatsink and require they own case.

IRQ Conflict November 18, 2012 08:33 PM

Ugh, they can't keep these things on the shelves. It sure is a great deal.

elmorejohn46 November 20, 2012 12:23 PM

I like the ASUS heatsink Direct II CU because it is quiet even if it is running at a 100% and if you have a good cooling case ,it doe'nt build up that much heat.