Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Microsoft Pushing Gamers to Upgrade? DirectX 11.1 to be Windows 8 Exclusive (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/57885-microsoft-pushing-gamers-upgrade-directx-11-1-windows-8-exclusive.html)

SKYMTL November 14, 2012 07:41 AM

Microsoft Pushing Gamers to Upgrade? DirectX 11.1 to be Windows 8 Exclusive

In a post on the MSDN forums, Microsoft has confirmed that Direct X 11.1 will only be available on the Windows 8 operating system.

Back when Windows 7 was released, gamers were introduced to the wonders of Microsoft’s DirectX 11 API but customers who had previously invested in Windows Vista weren’t left out in the cold. Microsoft committed to and eventually released a DX11 patch for Vista which allowed for complete compatibility with this generation’s latest gaming titles. With the advent of Windows 8, it doesn’t look like that situation will repeat itself.

Read more here: Microsoft Pushing Gamers to Upgrade? DirectX 11.1 to be Windows 8 Exclusive | Hardware Canucks

Soultribunal November 14, 2012 07:48 AM

Just gives me another reason to NOT upgrade. I don't like being forced into anything, and with the interface options to boot, I'm not sold on 8.

-ST

sswilson November 14, 2012 07:54 AM

Time to get the US Fed on this. As owner of a Console platform they're in a conflict of interest if it looks like they're attempting to damage the PC gaming experience, and this looks to me to meet the low bar set for previous regulatory attacks on MS.

bliz November 14, 2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 670747)
Just gives me another reason to NOT upgrade. I don't like being forced into anything, and with the interface options to boot, I'm not sold on 8.

-ST

Same,stupid windows 8.Anyway i don't have a touchscreen and what would be the advantage for gaming?I don't care let's stay with DirectX 11 hehehe...Anyway i don't think 11.1 will have extreme awesome new features

Bond007 November 14, 2012 07:58 AM

I don't think this will make anyone run out and get win8. I foresee 11.1 being a repeat of 10.1 (low adoption rate). Time will tell.

Squeetard November 14, 2012 08:18 AM

No one is going to develop games for dx11.1 then, simple.

great_big_abyss November 14, 2012 08:28 AM

DX 9 games are still being released (Skyrim, anyone?). So, I don't really see this being a big deal.

JJThomp November 14, 2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 670758)
DX 9 games are still being released (Skyrim, anyone?). So, I don't really see this being a big deal.

You don't buy a gtx 660ti or higher to not have the bleeding edge in technology, people will feel compelled by their hardware to switch.

enaberif November 14, 2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJThomp (Post 670765)
You don't buy a gtx 660ti or higher to not have the bleeding edge in technology, people will feel compelled by their hardware to switch.

Clueless and non tech people perhaps. Let's not forgot when nvidia was in nor rush to release dx11 cards if i remember correctly as they felt there was no rush and honestly still isn't.

Skyllz November 14, 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 670753)
No one is going to develop games for dx11.1 then, simple.

Ding! Agreed.