Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2012, 10:59 PM
Allstar

Default Do GPUs always run at 100%?

I just realized I don't know this....but do GPUs always run at 100%?

For CPUs, they generally do a finite amount of work at once and then go back to idle. What do GPUs do? if a GPU can pump out 200FPS, will it realize that that is wayyyy too much for a 60Hz monitor and run at a lower clock rate?
Old November 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post

For CPUs, they generally do a finite amount of work at once and then go back to idle. What do GPUs do? if a GPU can pump out 200FPS, will it realize that that is wayyyy too much for a 60Hz monitor and run at a lower clock rate?
It depends, if you turn on Vsync it will run at a lower rate or if it is being bottlenecked by your CPU it will run at a lower rate. However if you are telling it to crank out as many frames per second as possible it is going to work as hard as it can to do that.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
Allstar

how do I tell it to 'crank out as many frames as possible'? That is the 'default' setting, relative to vsync enabled?

so, a GPU with vsync enabled should be running cooler and quieter than one without?
Old November 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Vsync will limit max fps. All newer gpu lower their clock speeds when not in use.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

No they don't, the GPU's usage will vary depending on load. You can easily check for this using some diagnostics software such as AIDA64 among others under GPU usage. It would be VERY unpractical if a GPU ran at 100% at all times, imagine the heat.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
how do I tell it to 'crank out as many frames as possible'? That is the 'default' setting, relative to vsync enabled?

so, a GPU with vsync enabled should be running cooler and quieter than one without?
1st pretty much yes.

2nd it depends on whether or not you can actually hit your screens refresh rate with gpu power to spare.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:03 AM
Allstar

From what I understand, if we say '100%', we can mean one of two things:

1. 100% of all shaders (and other GPU pipeline components) are filled with data and instructions to process that data

2. the shaders are running at 100% of their maximum clockspeed.

I've been referring to #2 because I imagine some games are structured to only use a certain amount of shaders at the time, BUT the GPU itself is in control of what clockspeed it wants to run at.

when I run real temp and look at GPU utilization, what exactly is it reporting back to me?
Old November 11, 2012, 04:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It depends if the GPU reched the amount of framerates you want. without vsync the GPU will try to make as much FPS as possible . if you enable vsync, if the GPU can't make 60 FPS (60hz screen) ,it will be 100% BUT if you have 90 fps and you enable vsync,the gpu won't use all it's power, and be like 80%,depends on games

also,even without vsync in old games it's not 100% because sometimes,the frames are limited by the graphics engine or the game,for example it's 125fps in minecraft the maximum.Tell me if i'm wrong
Old November 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
From what I understand, if we say '100%', we can mean one of two things:

1. 100% of all shaders (and other GPU pipeline components) are filled with data and instructions to process that data

2. the shaders are running at 100% of their maximum clockspeed.

I've been referring to #2 because I imagine some games are structured to only use a certain amount of shaders at the time, BUT the GPU itself is in control of what clockspeed it wants to run at.

when I run real temp and look at GPU utilization, what exactly is it reporting back to me?
With that clarification I can give you a better answer. The graphic card drivers get the card to boost frequencies to 100% when it is required and it likely should be during all gaming. I am not familiar with the program you are using, but if you download and run MSI afterburner it will visually show you the answer to all you gpu related questions (it will show frequencies, usage, fan speed, VRAM use, etc and track them over time).
Old November 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
Rookie

They don't run at 100% all the time unless you are pushing it to the max. Otherwise they rise and fall according to my graphs from Afterburner.