Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2012, 04:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default When more powerful GPU's won't be needed...

Hey,this must have been said several times but i'm thinking that in 2012 we have extremely realistic games to play,like BF3 or crysis 2 or Minecraft

Well i think that there will be a moment that making ULTRA detailed games will be too much work for developers and games won't use much more GPU power..

Battlefield 3 , perfect lighting,Crysis 1 modded, perfect vegetation,(Minecraft... nevermind...) runs 120 FPS with a 680... will the game developpers add so much more details to piss of those GPU's? when you see a scenery or crysis 1 or far cry 3,it's like they can't add more stuff so yeah,what will Nvidia do? pay developers to stop optimizing their games? i agree it's not for now but well in 5 years, there will be cards 5x more powerful than a 680 and will that be useful?
Old November 9, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Graphics should never come before good storytelling or gameplay, but I think there is still a place for more realistic graphics in some games. I think that artistic design, physics, and more realistic modelling is still something that is worth pursuing. I think that it is important to keep developing more powerful technologies even if they are primarily used for games. What about Virtual Reality? If we ever want to develop that to the point where it is 'realistic' we will need to continue to push out more powerful chips and processors. If we didn't have the game industry pushing GPU developers to pump out better stuff every 6 months, we would still have the games with graphics we played in the early 90's and no other ability for new technologies to emerge and utilize the more powerful tech. my 2cents
Old November 9, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, its call going outside.

GPUs aren't just for games.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

They are for games and 3d apps, searchers, but anyway they have cheap cards

But you are right, you can use a GPU in a game as an induction hot plate to cook an egg...
Old November 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

We have yet to see what's in store for us. We will,without a doubt see Ultra graphics in video games. As one technology advances,so does everything else. Some of the best action movies we see, use computer graphics. If the technology needed is there for movies,it won't be too far away for our PC's and games. The only thing holding it up right now,is the cost. That cost,like everything,will come down as the technology advances even further. It all has to start somewhere.but it never ends. Ain't that GREAT!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 9, 2012, 08:27 PM
Allstar

I say we're a LONG time(2 decades? - totally out of my ass) away from photo-realistic graphics (I would hardly call BF3 on any settings 'realistic).

EDIT:

by photo-realistic, I really mean the graphics equivalent of the Turing test. I should not be able to tell the difference between the render and real life under any level of magnification or any degree of animation.

as well, I'm not talking solely about GPU power; I'm including the algorithms and the testing process as well (the time it takes for someone to notice "hey, that's not quite right")
Old November 9, 2012, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you hardly need a GFX card now. the publishers are more worried about money (read consoles)so they don't push the hardware like they use to
Old November 9, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't worry - there will always be a way for money to be made. It's not just a question of adding more realism to games - believe me there are lots more ground to cover in games. Realism / detail settings is just one thing. Remember that as years go by so will resolution, maybe a day will come where 1080p will be so far back ... and people will be playing at mega resolutions - this will require more GPU horsepower!
Also - newer games will have the same realism and features but more complex scenes (a lot more happening in the same scene!) there will come a time where cinematic cut scenes will no longer need to be rendered, and be all realtime (actually it is so in most games but I'm talking about the realtime being just as good as the CG stuff!) There is lots more ground to cover. Sure, if you intend on playing at lower resolutions than the high-end stuff, your card will last you a while longer actually. Where there is money to be made, anything is possible. They could invent some new engine requiring a new feature available on new graphics cards, and if you don't have it, you won't get the extra feature......Does it sound familiar ? ;)

One of these days you will be playing your games at 4k-8k resolutions, maybe more, on your gigantic screen, in full holographic projection 3D - I can guarantee you that you will need a new graphics card for that ! lol. By the time this comes to be, you probably won't have to worry about desktop PCs, windows and cards anymore, mind you, I think there will be a big shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Hey,this must have been said several times but i'm thinking that in 2012 we have extremely realistic games to play,like BF3 or crysis 2 or Minecraft

Well i think that there will be a moment that making ULTRA detailed games will be too much work for developers and games won't use much more GPU power..

Battlefield 3 , perfect lighting,Crysis 1 modded, perfect vegetation,(Minecraft... nevermind...) runs 120 FPS with a 680... will the game developpers add so much more details to piss of those GPU's? when you see a scenery or crysis 1 or far cry 3,it's like they can't add more stuff so yeah,what will Nvidia do? pay developers to stop optimizing their games? i agree it's not for now but well in 5 years, there will be cards 5x more powerful than a 680 and will that be useful?
Old November 9, 2012, 10:35 PM
Allstar

Damnit, I want my holodeck now!
Old November 10, 2012, 12:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I thought it couldn't get any better than the first time I saw Super Mario 64, then again with CounterStrike, then Halo etc.........

They will always be able to add more/better polys, textures, physics, (not pre rendered) cutscenes, animations. 3D may one day actually be cool and I hope that 4K+ monitors are just around the corner.

Triple thin bezel 600hz + 3D + 4K.....