Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK, bigger resolutions is a point. but i think we are already close :X

Crysis Versus Real Life - YouTube

Yah ok ,when we look the ground of a game, any texture is blurry and the grass structure is always flat 2d...
for the future,people will probably play with 5000x8000 resolutions with extra detailed screens,and yea ,that would need big cards..
Old November 10, 2012, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Damnit, I want my holodeck now!
That's probably patent-encumbered

The graphics quality of the games these days are "good enough" for me, but more powerful GPUs will continue to be needed for decades IMHO, even if we don't call them GPUs anymore. Try not to limit your thinking to higher resolution textures:

One thing I'd like to see the extra compute going to is AI that really uses machine learning so you can't actually beat it six times in a row with the exact same strategy. In strategy games, GPU compute would be really fun to have to simulate the people in cities and towns.
Other stuff that could be cool is better physics in materials of games. For instance, what about throwing in REAL materials properties into a game. Think for example if you throw a grenade into a building with occupants in an FPS, the unfortunate victims don't just have generic red spots or scripted destruction of limbs, but you can actually see the shrapnel bits from the 'nade and some random furniture fragments sent flying in the explosion.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It may happen at some point, but I doubt it is in the foreseeable future. Resolutions, 3D display and who knows what else (hologram gaming?), will continue to evolve and increase in what it demands for graphics power. Not saying that the current day GPU will just improve, but that there will be some type of processor that will need to continually improve to provide graphics.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
OK, bigger resolutions is a point. but i think we are already close :X

Crysis Versus Real Life - YouTube

Yah ok ,when we look the ground of a game, any texture is blurry and the grass structure is always flat 2d...
for the future,people will probably play with 5000x8000 resolutions with extra detailed screens,and yea ,that would need big cards..
Remember also that most GPUs out there are never fully taken advantage of their full capacity - It all comes down to game code / engine / optimizations, etc. Right now some games can have a moderate amount of polygons with good textures and some people's eyes will mask this and look at the eye candy and textures. But are games really pushing the full limits of the hardware ? I don't believe even consoles do that.

There is still lots of ground to cover - increasing polygons, texture, better physics, more complex scenes, etc. problem is now with tighter schedules and games rushing out, is it possible?
I'm sure that so many years down the line Battlefield 3 will be considered to people like the original duke'em 3D DOS game lol - who knows what people will be playing and at what resolutions. Modern games may APPEAR realistic but a trained eye can still spot differences (polygons, textures, etc.)

Question is now - Is this all really needed ? In my opinion no - I think current hardware still can be pushed, it is game optimization and clever use of textures that can be refined. I'm sure people will appreciate a game with a good story, longevity and replay factor more so than analysing poly count and all the technical stuff. What good is a photo realistic game if you can finish it in 5 hours, weak story, not much of a replay value, etc (sounds familiar people???) Some way older games lacked the realism but had the game play, story and replay value. Although I wouldn't mind playing my favourite game in holographic 3D projection or being actually INSIDE the game :P I can already think of a few games I'd like to be inside of ! :D
Old November 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
That's probably patent-encumbered

The graphics quality of the games these days are "good enough" for me, but more powerful GPUs will continue to be needed for decades IMHO,
Decades ? Are you sure ? You would be surprised - There might come a time when you buy a graphics card one day and it's obsolete in 3 months (Oh wait, isn't that the case already ? lol).

Quote:
even if we don't call them GPUs anymore. Try not to limit your thinking to higher resolution textures:
They will be called HWSP. (Holographic World Super Processors).

Quote:
Other stuff that could be cool is better physics in materials of games. For instance, what about throwing in REAL materials properties into a game. Think for example if you throw a grenade into a building with occupants in an FPS, the unfortunate victims don't just have generic red spots or scripted destruction of limbs, but you can actually see the shrapnel bits from the 'nade and some random furniture fragments sent flying in the explosion.
This is all possible now and could be done - it all comes down to the engine - More complexity means more budget means more time, and it's the exact opposite of game companies now, maybe a few exceptions.

But the problem is consoles, I mean we are seeing PC ported from consoles, so will PC gamers be at the mercy of console technology ? Or will we see some exclusive PC titles that will really take FULL advantage of the actual hardware instead of only partial. I am skeptic about that.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think that when you have an overclocked card that artifacts and heats as hell ,you used all the power of the GPU :P

But imagine 10 years ago? we had ugly 3D and now we have photorealistic games like BF3, and in 10 years??????? more complex scenes, that will work easy ,and with 10000x5000 resolutions ,the eye won't see the pixels :D , so yeah I'm thinking about new technologies, like holograms :D
Old November 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
I think that when you have an overclocked card that artifacts and heats as hell ,you used all the power of the GPU :P

But imagine 10 years ago? we had ugly 3D and now we have photorealistic games like BF3, and in 10 years??????? more complex scenes, that will work easy ,and with 10000x5000 resolutions ,the eye won't see the pixels :D , so yeah I'm thinking about new technologies, like holograms :D
All this is really over the top and unneeded IMO. The only thing that will improve and get bigger is the bank accounts of those who come up the new stuff, they CREATE a need, otherwise who would really want that. I don't see any pixels in my 1080p display, but create a need and hype and people will move to whatever trend created...... 3D projections in thin air, and holograms, the technology really exists out there, but not marketed - it is very limited and would be so much expensive. The next biggest thing will be OLED, which willg et so much better and bigger, will make LCDs obsolete eventually as they become affordable. Then multi GPU single cards, much more powerful iGPU, etc. It's not over folks, prepare your wallets.

Yes Mario 64 - I remember people raving about the advanced technology and the "64" being the big thing.......Now you see games that look like movies. What I'm wondering with the more advanced gfx cards to come in a very distant future, if air cooling will be on the way out and at minimum water cooling will be a requirement for new generation of cards.

Oh and when I said power I was not referring to GPU usage necessarily but the full capacity of the features inside the GPU. Meaning, games are not really optimized to 100% of the hardware, impossible, if they were, games would run so much faster and perform better on GPUs a few generations down. SO that game that overheats your GPU and that seems to push it to its limit, is it really ?

Forget games, look at graphics card drivers. Proof of that, certain games had issues with some older driver revisions (NVIDIA). You often see new forceware releases that claim to increase speed in some games.......

Back in the days I remember discussions on how the creative sound card drivers tap into 30-40% of the true potential of the hardware. Maybe this is intentional - when a company releases a product, they alreayd have specs for their next gen technology, but it is held back - that's a good way to make money. Instead of releasing the perfect product that has it all........
Old November 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

3Dmark 11? Runs at like 15 FPS on a 680 @1080p...? And there's so much room for improvement from there on, just wait and see... oh and damn those console-focused devs.
Old November 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

3d mark 11 = worst optimization ever :D
Old November 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

where's my dam holodeck ??????????