Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Default Help with Nvidia GTX 660 ti

Hey there everyone! I am building a gaming/streaming pc. I have purchased every part except the graphics card. I was looking at the MSI GTX 660 ti Power Edition and I noticed that they have 2 versions of it. I know that one is factory overclocked and one is not. My question is: What difference does a Factory overclocked card make on the overall maximum overclocking potential. Does it increase it or not? I am wondering because the none overclocked version is 20 dollars cheaper at newegg right now after rebate. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old October 27, 2012, 11:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

In "theory" it might be more overclockable because it could/should? be binned better.

Old October 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The pre overclocked should be stronger and should be able to overclock further,what is sure, it's that it will work at their overclocked stock speeds,MSI is good at that.and you will be probably able to push it even more.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice everyone! I do have another question about overclocking however. Does anyone know how much the Nvidia greenlight program has hurt the overclocking potential of the 660 ti's? Thanks!
Old October 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
The pre overclocked should be stronger and should be able to overclock further,what is sure, it's that it will work at their overclocked stock speeds,MSI is good at that.and you will be probably able to push it even more.
No not true. Overclocked cards are usually pushed to a point where you won't be able to go any further. I prefer vanilla type cards that aren't overclocked and do it myself.
Old October 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Logically,the pre overclocked cards are build a bit stronger so i don't see how an original card could overclock better,It depends if the pre OC model is maximum overclocked,like you said.

In most cases the maximum overclocking will be better with the pre overclocked card.
Old October 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Logically,the pre overclocked cards are build a bit stronger so i don't see how an original card could overclock better,It depends if the pre OC model is maximum overclocked,like you said.

In most cases the maximum overclocking will be better with the pre overclocked card.
Same thing as ram. Ram that is sold as overclocked ram means its binned higher and means it may not overclock better.

My GTX 560ti FPB can run at speeds over 1ghz on the core without breaking a sweat.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Either go vanilla or the highest overclock. From my experience most of the "mild" overclocked cards are crap at manual overclocking. Especially those EVGA SC cards. You buy a "vanilla" and they ship you a SC.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks everyone I went with the overclocked version just to play it safe.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No not true. Overclocked cards are usually pushed to a point where you won't be able to go any further. I prefer vanilla type cards that aren't overclocked and do it myself.
I wouldn't say that.....I've seen many many reviews and forum posts where overclocked cards are manually overclocked even further.

Tags
gtx 660 ti , msi , nvidia , power edtion