Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 12:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Is that noise dangerous?

Hi guys,i never worried about that noise, i have had it for 1 year and my card works perfectly,and it's not very loud but i was wondering if it's normal of if the fans will die soon? the microphone is very close to the case so ,it's loud,but actually, not that loud, here the fans are 80% .

It happens when the fans are 70-80% electronical noise.. It's not a problem for me ,I use headset but well ,if it's dangerous for the card..(recorded with extremely High end mic so it's the exact noise.)

GIGABYTE WINDFORCE GTX 570.

Tests: the card or the fans are not vibrating(when i touch the plastic of the card) when the noise happens, everything seems to be stable in the case, happens more when changing the power of the fans,from 0% to 80% with afterburner,seems to be purely electronical.

What i want to know is : can it damage the fans? my PSU is good.

Started before i overclocked the card,a year ago.

The fans move normally but i listened to a lot of coil whining vids,sounds like that.And the noise seems to come from the electronics and the PCB itself.Even if it depends on the fan speed, seems to come from near the power connectors but inside the card

EDIT: there is also a slower cracking noise at 50% fans
Attached Files
File Type: zip noise.zip (233.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by bliz; October 23, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

If it is indeed coil whine, then it is harmless. It sucks, but it seems that it's a very common issue with higher end cards that draw a lot of power.

This may not be of any comfort to you, but that's actually quite mild in terms of how severe coil whine can be. From my experience, they vary from a mild buzz to a high-pitched squeal. Yours is the quieter buzz variety, and may or may not get better with time.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you can try the nail polish method to try and alter the vibration pitch of the coils.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

add a filter (bi-polar cap) on fan motor
Old October 25, 2012, 07:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks,but i prefer to leave my card alone^^ I would break it, actually it is not that disturbing while playing,as long as it does not explode :D
and i only have it in a few demanding games ,so..
Old October 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Allstar

Some people have had luck in putting a small dab of hot glue on the offending coils. I've not tried this myself so this is entirely anecdotal.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Some people have had luck in putting a small dab of hot glue on the offending coils. I've not tried this myself so this is entirely anecdotal.
Wow I never heard of that it is nice to know if I ever run into a problem again.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nail polish also works.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Coil whine should become more noticeable when the card is under load like when you run a stress test. I'm not sure if you're just manually cranking up the fan speed or if you meant the ramp up when gaming. You can always stop the fan while under load for a few seconds if you're feeling particularly adventurous. If the whine is still there, then yes, it's bad caps but you can't do much about it short of nail polish or asking for rma

Old October 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, Nail Polish trick, eh? What do you do? Just paint the tops of the caps with a little nail polish? My 295 has very bad coil whine.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Allstar

No you put it on the coils, not the caps. The idea is that the coil winding oscillate ever so slightly and you are essentially "gluing" them to the cores. I persoanlly wouldn't recommend nail polish as it typically contains acetone which is a very efficient solvent and will do a "nice" job on plastics, circuit board ink printing, and even in some cases the enamel coating used on the coil windings.