Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2012, 06:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Although the OC is truely impressive, I am not a fan of cards like this (Design). I am more of a minimalistic type person, and this just looks gawd awful.
Couple that with the fact I've delt with those little fan's in HP and Dell servers for years. I can't stand the type of noise they make..

Still not trying to detract from the review, that card itself for its performance is impressive, and the fact that GB tried to do something different should be applauded. Just not my cup of tea,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I was pretty obsessive about this one. Typically, I put between 2-3 hours into overclocking a card. This time it was more like 6-8 hours. If you look at the third page in the OC Guru II (below), that's where all the fun happens:

Basically, in order to get the best clock speeds, it seems you have to tweak nearly every setting there; sometimes lowering frequencies while raising others. It is a real balancing act.

Other than that, I am quite sure I got one of those "golden" samples that come along every now and then. It just needs a LOT of massaging and hours of tweaking to get past the 1200MHz mark.
Nice well thanks for putting the effort in, it is good to know what this card can really do if you play with it enough and get a little lucky.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Great review as ususal & great oc!! From the 1-2 others I spied of this card I think your's where the highest ones of them ..

I wonder how many of these are being produced for retail .....

As for the fan thing .... the other rumors sugested that it doesnt get near anoying level till you bring them over 60% speed.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If they could somehow do this with 2 slot cards and still keep the temps reasonably cool this could be awesome for folding/crunching rigs. When you stuff 4 cards (side by side) with air cooling into a rig only 1 of them gets any air. With this setup you might get better cooling on the top 3.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I take it the fan whine was annoying enough at the factory OC that you didn't need to mention it when you OC'd it further?

The heat sink with all that copper and 5 fans was probably so expensive they could've had something like the Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid on it to be original without the noise. Oh well, it's fun to see stuff like this.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I really do appreciate the out-of-the-box approach, but would take Asus' matrix over it any day of the week.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I first looked at the card and was shocked at what I saw. That cooler looks hideous IMHO.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I think this card looks pretty slick. Like a overstuffed sandwich with layers of meaty goodness billowing out the sides, the swiss and cheddar barely consealed inside that mountain of scrumptious gastranomic delight...nom, nom, nom... I skipped lunch can you tell? Anyways...Small fans and a high pitch whine is a deal breaker but nice to see them trying something new. Hows that Melville quote go again..."better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation". Nice try Gigabyte.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd agree... I don't see any reason to buy this card as I'm not an extreme over-clocker. It offers me nothing if I keep it at the stock settings (or even a modest oc) and in some ways seems worse than other factory o/c cards. I'd still like to harp that one of these days in the o/c section I'd like to see it compared to other o/c cards as well. I.e. show the results of o/c a reference 680, 670, and 7950 alongside. IMO, if you're curious how well a card o/c, you will o/c whatever card you buy... not just the one in the review. Maybe that's just too much work for a section that only caters to a small number of people?
Old October 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
Allstar

With that massive a heatsink, I wonder if you "underclocked" it somewhat if you coudl run fanless/shroudless in a case with good airflow. If so it would be a real win - 7970 horsepower and ultra quiet.