Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
Allstar

Default [ARTICLE] Converting x16 GPU into x1 GPU

Convert a PCI-E x16 Video Card to Fit a x1 Slot with a Diamond Cutting Wheel

I think all of us are familiar with the idea of 'forcibly' inserting an x16 card into a x1 slot.

The article describes a scenario where the card itself is cut to fit into the slot (and certain pins are shorted to fake x1 card status).

It is mind-boggling to me that this doesn't cause a performance degradation. Does the cited person simply not realize that his card is being bottlenecked or is he actually correct?
Old October 12, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Probably due to the fact that the card was talking up no where close to the x16 slots bandwidth so performance isn' t hindered much. Also don't forget the difference between x16 and x4 is only ~5% so I'm guessing performance decreases logarithmically.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd use something like this long before I try cutting anything, whether it be the motherboard slot or the video card's PCB:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com PCI Express X1 to X16 Low Profile Slot Extension Adapter (PEX1TO162): Electronics

As for performance, there's definitely a drop:
Ivy Bridge PCI-Express Scaling with HD 7970 and GTX 680 Review | techPowerUp

If you look at the original post, he used Team Fortress 2 with unknown resolution or setting to claim there's no problem, and it's a GeForce 8400GS, which can probably be beaten by Intel 2500 Graphics...