Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2012, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Default Galaxy GTX 680 GC 4GB good brand?

Hey all I'm about to buy a new video card and want a 680 4GB. I game on a high resolution why I'm looking for 4GB.

I found this 680 4GB for so much cheaper than the others. I'm looking at the Evga ones and not only are they more expensive but have lower clock speeds and reference design.

Newegg.com - Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

The thing is though I have never heard of this brand. Can anyone vouch for their products and warranty? Also are they known to have coil whine? One of the reviews mentions it but maybe it's just an off occurence.

Thanks ahead of time

And I know there are people who recommend a 670 over it but I am set on a 680 :)
Old October 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
Allstar

Galaxy are supposed to be pretty decent. Compared to EVGA they are a relative newcomer. Part of the premium you pay for an EVGA card is for their warranty which is excellent and the customer service reputation they have built up over the years.

Coil whine can occur on any card from any manufacturer, all it takes is for the manufacturing to be a little bit off on a card.

Last edited by NyteOwl; October 7, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not exactly new, Galaxy has been around for much longer than EVGA. They've really stepped up their game with their newest cards and from the community support that they've given this forum I'd say they're a good buy
Old October 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We've also got a fairly active galaxy rep here on the forums if you have any questions or concerns. I'm kinda surprised he hasn't already chimed in, he's usually pretty quick to show up when somebody mentions the brand.... maybe he's AFK for the thanksgiving weekend. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2012, 09:29 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving in Dallas, where the rep is based. Though, do they do a lot of stuff for Columbus Day?

Anywho, I don't know about the 680, but the 660Ti that I have, which uses the same cooler, works pretty nice, and it's real quiet too. 3-year transferable warranty to boot. I don't really look at EVGA anymore because they never have good non-reference cooling.

Coil whine is also rarer on this gen's nVidia cards from what I read, whereas almost every 7xxx Radeon card I've tried has had it. No thanks AMD.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:14 AM
Rookie

I never thought choosing a card would be this tough lol. Just too many choices but this one does look like the best you can get for a 4GB card.

The Evga pricing is just ridiculous. What makes them cost a premium over everyone else?

I look at their 4gb and it's a reference cooler and lower clock speeds. I don't know if this is a dumb question but do they use special parts?

I really do think I'll go with this Galaxy :)

PS: That's neat they have a company representative on these forums. Maybe he/she can chime in =)
Old October 8, 2012, 11:12 AM
Allstar

Galaxy is older than EVGA? News to me. I've only really starting seeing them in any amount in the last couple of years.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
zeus3dfx

Like many here have said, they've been around for a while and are a fairly respectable brand. I had a Galaxy 8800GT which served me well with no issues.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

Chiming in just as everyone's come to expect. I'm always just a pm away if you ever have any questions or issues regarding just about anything about a Galaxy product. As far as how well we build graphics cards, we have indeed been doing it the better half of two decades now and you can see the results of our work in any of the many recent reviews of our cards.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
Rookie

I just ordered the card and I'm very excited. Thank you for all the feedback everyone. Got the exact 4gb one I linked in the original post.

@GalaxyTech

Thanks for coming here to answer. Great to know that there is someone from the company visiting forums and helping people out. Can't wait to receive my card. Going to hold off on playing XCom and Dishonored until I get it.