Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Rookie

Okay so I got my graphics card =) I'm really excited but I have a question and this might just be my OCD kicking in...

Okay so the front of the card. Is the cooler supposed to be off the PCB? What I mean by that is there is enough gap that I can press the cooler down onto the PCB and when I let go it comes back up. It doesn't seem to be screwed down from the front only the back half.

Is this how the card is supposed to be?
Old October 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katk89 View Post
Okay so I got my graphics card =) I'm really excited but I have a question and this might just be my OCD kicking in...

Okay so the front of the card. Is the cooler supposed to be off the PCB? What I mean by that is there is enough gap that I can press the cooler down onto the PCB and when I let go it comes back up. It doesn't seem to be screwed down from the front only the back half.

Is this how the card is supposed to be?
I believe I just answered your question on another forum; took me a moment to realize I've been having this discussion with the same person on two threads at once lol

From my other post:

Yes, that's normal. Just like any precision hardware it must be handled with care, but it's securely bolted down in all the places it needs to be to cool properly. The relatively loose fit of the fanksink over the other areas of the PCB is part of the design; the dual fan layout moves air more with momentum than pressure. Also, you'll notice there are some small screws in the sides of the aluminum shroud which makes the whole thing fairly easy to remove for routine maintenance and cleaning.

I might be a little biased being that I'm the Galaxy rep and all, but I use this exact card myself in my primary rig and it's been outstanding with regards to cooling and OC.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

How much did you OC Yours?
Old October 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTech View Post
I believe I just answered your question on another forum; took me a moment to realize I've been having this discussion with the same person on two threads at once lol

From my other post:

Yes, that's normal. Just like any precision hardware it must be handled with care, but it's securely bolted down in all the places it needs to be to cool properly. The relatively loose fit of the fanksink over the other areas of the PCB is part of the design; the dual fan layout moves air more with momentum than pressure. Also, you'll notice there are some small screws in the sides of the aluminum shroud which makes the whole thing fairly easy to remove for routine maintenance and cleaning.

I might be a little biased being that I'm the Galaxy rep and all, but I use this exact card myself in my primary rig and it's been outstanding with regards to cooling and OC.
Thank you very much for the detailed and fast response!

I love the card it runs so cool, quiet, and fast it's really incredible. That's just my super OCD kicking in and worrying about every single thing lol. I'm glad you answered as fast as you did because it was bugging me since I first asked the question haha.

Well now I can move passed that and enjoy the card.

And yes I did ask another forum as you can see my OCD is so bad that I like getting multiple reassurances lol. It drives my bf nuts lol. Sorry! Nice of you to not ask wtf haha.

PS: I love the pulsing Geforce GTX 680 lights =)

Last edited by Katk89; October 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been slowly watching GALAXY over the last two years as they used to be a brand I wouldn't trust or recommend based on some issues a long time ago (mind you I think it's PYN that was far worse). I'd say that GALAXY seems to have done a complete turn around over the last two years and worked hard at becoming a stable brand without a failure rate that is any higher than the other main brands. MSI did the same thing as they were once known for being "cheap" at the cost of reliability. Really not sure how Zotac has progressed the last few years though... haven't been keeping tabs on them.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:55 AM
Rookie

So I really like the card. It's incredibly fast and the temperatures are great!

My only complaint would be that it does have some whining coil noise when I run applications that make use of the card. However, it's not very loud and nothing to exchange the card over imo.
Old October 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
Rookie

Glad you like your card. I have the same one, it was a RMA replacement for the 680 SOC that I had but they had no stock. Have had all positives with Galaxy but unfortunately my 680 GC had bad VRAM out of the box so I've been stuck with a computer that basically is only for browsing the web. It has been 1 month since I've asked for a RMA with this card and have yet to hear from them. I miss my SOC and I miss my games. Last time I got to enjoy any games was the last week of July. It is unfortunate for sure.
Old October 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Liked all my Galaxy cards. Dont see a reason not to buy em.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

They must be certenly good,but it does not mean they are the best :)
I saw in a previous thread that the MSI had like 50% votes,So yes,prolly a good card,but probably not the best Manufacturer :) EVGA is known for the quality too ,and MSI for the cooling... Actually it depends on what you want, quiet card,awesomly cooled card, strong card... and you choose the best for you...None is bad, Period^^

Every manufacturer got's his fans anyway...
Old October 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, we don't have a rep from EVGA, MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte, Asus or PNY here. We do have a Galaxy rep that visits quite often. I bought a Galaxy GTX 680 for my personal PC last week, which wouldn't have happened 6 months ago.