Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
Trial Member

Default Msi GTX 680 or Asus GTX 680

Which one would be best for my rig ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II Top or MSI Lightning GeForce GTX 680?

MSI: Newegg.com - MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Asus: Newegg.com - ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Old September 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Some information on said rig would be nice. :)

Also, the main question for you would be whether the slightly increased overclock capability is worth $600 over the $500 680s go for.

If I had to say without any of that information, I wouldn't suggest either card. You would want this instead:

Gigabyte: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N680WF3-2GD GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Currently $479, delivers respectable cooling with only 2-slot installation.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:24 AM
Rookie

Truth be told, if the price isn't problem with you, I would choose MSI GTX 680 Lightning, because have best overclocking ability, triple overvoltage, dust removal technology, great twin frozr IV, and dual slot design.

especially if your motherboard is an MSI Z77 MPower, it would be an amazing combo...IMO

with ASUS you can get more reasonable price than Lightning, and the card is quiet too..., but too bad.., that the card have TRIPLE SLOT design, which I dont like it personally.

Last edited by Sharchaster; October 1, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The MSI Lightning is the best 680 hands down IMO, but that Gigabyte is a very good value.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:09 AM
lelionmoddeur

if want to overclock,MSI, if not,Gigabyte is just fine
Old October 1, 2012, 10:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelionmoddeur View Post
if want to overclock,MSI, if not,Gigabyte is just fine
Thats subjective to both really.
The MSI is already near its nominal Core point, and you'd have to start getting some good vCore before you saw more appriciable gains.

And the second card he linked is an ASUS, not a Gigabyte. DId you even look at the original Post?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 1, 2012, 11:05 AM
lelionmoddeur

yea, i was distracted by the guy up there who said Gigabyte xD

anyway my answer works for ASUS too, i'd take MSI lighting edition for triple overvoltage and overclocking

but my name is not Cresus so i don't have it and i didn't test it the thing is that 99% of ppl prefer triple overvoltage for overclocking and say you get better overclocks with the lighting MSI card ,depends if you want to overclock or not. the lighting is more expensive,and maybe not the most stable.

i may be wrong,the best you can do is to research on the internet,you will probably have more comparisons and more details so you will know which one is the best for you........^^

arh damn i will stop to say i may be wrong lol OK i may be wrong and? If i am i admit it. with what i see on the internet i say what i would do if it was me,DOT

now you know XD

the best is to ask guys who tested both,if that exist

btw if it's not off topic,all the questions i see on this forum can be answered by a video right there.

NCIXcom's channel - YouTube
Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

Last edited by lelionmoddeur; October 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM.