Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Default When to rma a 7870/7950 videocard ? (update responce from powercolor rep)

So, while troubleshooting my pc's weird stability issue's while playing alot of my 1 game I got alot of what is called now GSOD (grey screen of death) though it doesnt occure in any others.

Thru googling recently I have discovered that this is occuring in alot of the 7870/7950 series cards & through the various postings someone has put all the facts together & drawn a factual conclusion that the gsod's are occuring on these cards cause of bad memory overclocking. Those users whom get the gsod's whom backed off on there ram overclocks or brought them back to stock speeds had there gsod's go away.

My question then is .... IF the card doesnt artifact or cause system lockups when specificaly the ram is @ default or slightly oc'ed settings .... would this be a basis to STILL rma the card cause of its ability to not overclock the rams speed much past default settings on it without causing issue's or lockups. Or do you simply just gotta call this a card built with sub par moduals on it?

thanks

Last edited by terrybear; September 25, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just rma the card and give the new card a try.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Now just so I understand, you have OC'd the memory beyond factory spec or what you got the card at correct?
If that is the case, no warranty promises what type of OC you get, and given that only one game does it, it might be that game demands different resources from the card.

I would say it wouldn't have much a point in RMA'ing a card based on that.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed - unless the card specifically says an overclock that'll be guaranteed stable on it (which never happens as they'd just ship with that OC anyway) there is nothing you can RMA about.
Besides, isn't a 7870 bottlenecked by its core before it's ever bottlenecked by its memory bandwidth anyway? Unlike low-end GDDR3 cards, you may be better leaving the memory at stock and OCing the core at bit more with the TDP capacity that you "saved".
Old September 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Now just so I understand, you have OC'd the memory beyond factory spec or what you got the card at correct?
If that is the case, no warranty promises what type of OC you get, and given that only one game does it, it might be that game demands different resources from the card.

I would say it wouldn't have much a point in RMA'ing a card based on that.

-ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Agreed - unless the card specifically says an overclock that'll be guaranteed stable on it (which never happens as they'd just ship with that OC anyway) there is nothing you can RMA about.
Besides, isn't a 7870 bottlenecked by its core before it's ever bottlenecked by its memory bandwidth anyway? Unlike low-end GDDR3 cards, you may be better leaving the memory at stock and OCing the core at bit more with the TDP capacity that you "saved".
True, but here is my concern/issue ..... I go to re-sell this card say that I dont think its giving me enough preformance to upgrade to a higher end card, person gets it & starts experiencing the same issue's I have ... Then im seen as a "bad seller" cause im selling a "faulty" videocard ...
Old September 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
True, but here is my concern/issue ..... I go to re-sell this card say that I dont think its giving me enough preformance to upgrade to a higher end card, person gets it & starts experiencing the same issue's I have ... Then im seen as a "bad seller" cause im selling a "faulty" videocard ...
So?
If I sell my i5 2400 and you can't get more than a 200mhz OC on it is the Chip bad?
Nope. OC'ing in the world is a YMMV situation and would not make you a bad seller unless you said "OMG Buy This Card, Capable of 1200MHZ CORE/RAM"

So long as the Card runs perfectly at the settings from the Factory you are fine.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Default (update) responce from powercolor rep

So I thought i'd update this as I just got this 2nd reply from Mr.Jonathan Garay a power color rep in california:

" The limitation on OCing is to make sure you donít do it so high that you end up burning the PCB ;-). Basically, no physical damage and apply the OEM BIOS of the card (if the card is not entirely dead). You can swap out the cooler for an aftermarket cooler as well, just be sure that if you need an RMA that the original cooler is back on. If you have (or will be doing so in the future) be sure to properly handle the card to avoid accidental physical damage to the PCB.

And yes, you can send us your card for an RMA if all is otherwise good with the card J.

Thank you,

Jonathan Garay

Jonathan Garay | jgaray@powercolor.com

1216 John Reed Ct.
City of Industry, CA 91745
"

Last edited by terrybear; September 25, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

Wait, you want to RMA a card because it doesn't OC high enough? No offense, but are you freaking serious? That is not ethical or a valid reason to RMA. That is ridiculous, even if a CS drone tells you otherwise.

My apologies if i'm misunderstanding.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velias View Post
Wait, you want to RMA a card because it doesn't OC high enough? No offense, but are you freaking serious? That is not ethical or a valid reason to RMA. That is ridiculous, even if a CS drone tells you otherwise.

My apologies if i'm misunderstanding.
no ..... if the card is having issue's from / since a oc .... then id have to rma it. BUT I am not shure if its the case or not .. cause like whomever said ... settings in 1 game it doesnt do anything, but in another it may crash. So in that instance it might be a driver/game issue n not a hardware issue. And my card has only been pushed thru the ccc overdrive so its not been overvolted or what not.