Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Default Galaxy 680 GC 4GB bad?

I've been having lovely issues with my replacement 680. I had a 680 SOC that died which was a bummer because I had it to 1400+ and they replaced it with a 680 GC 4GB because they said they didn't have any SOC's in stock. On arrival the card came without the graphic box cover (just a black box) with a seal on the flap to open it. Card looked good. Plugged it in and installed drivers and finally got my computer running. Went to play BF3 and it let me spawn, run, then crashed. That was the farthest I have ever gotten with this card. After that it only would let me see the loading screen then the driver would crash. 3DMark 11 has bad artifacts and ghosting. Bad Company 2 has the same issue. I don't know specifically what it is buy I can only assume the card since I've never seen this before. Either that or my computer in general is just fubar. I'm in a tight spot with time so I guess now I have a very expensive internet browser device because it took me 2 months just to get some time to RMA my original card. I haven't heard any response from Galaxy at all after the decision was made to accept this card as the replacement versus wait an unknown amount of time for the SOC to replenish.

Aside from mini rant, does anyone have any possible solutions? I'm stuck.

Fail - a set on Flickr
Old September 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is the OC you had set to apply itself on a reboot?
Old September 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running the default fan profile, and how much air flow does your case have? If you are using the default go check out my signature to make a better one, and if you don't have much air flow a default fan profile will allow a card to overheat and artifact.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Is the OC you had set to apply itself on a reboot?
No I was using fully stock settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Are you running the default fan profile, and how much air flow does your case have? If you are using the default go check out my signature to make a better one, and if you don't have much air flow a default fan profile will allow a card to overheat and artifact.
I have massive airflow in my case. Idle is 26 degrees under a custom profile designed to keep it under 70 no matter what. Doesn't go past 60 since nothing will run long enough to stress it. Forced furmark and left fans to minimum to see if heat made it worse. Stopped at 90 degrees because it did no change. Not even clock throttle (which I prefer, I never liked the 70 degree throttle with Kepler)
Old September 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If this happens while you're using WHQL drivers, I'd say you've got unlucky with a bad card again...
Old September 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
If this happens while you're using WHQL drivers, I'd say you've got unlucky with a bad card again...
Yea that's what I figured. Well here's to waiting, again. This is unfortunate for sure. Haven't had a response yet either. I'll get in touch with the rep Andrew soon unless he beats me to it.
Old September 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

I'll share the images you posted with engineering to see what they suggest, but I can confirm the guys at the RMA department took extra time to test your card before sending out to make certain it performed well and met your expectations. I know with 100% certainty the card was working perfectly when it left, so unless it was damaged somehow during transit there shouldn't be any issues with it. Do you by chance have access to another machine to test it in? If I recall you still have a 2nd 680 as well, correct? Do the problems go away when you remove the new card and run the other one in the same slot?
Old September 24, 2012, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTech View Post
I'll share the images you posted with engineering to see what they suggest, but I can confirm the guys at the RMA department took extra time to test your card before sending out to make certain it performed well and met your expectations. I know with 100% certainty the card was working perfectly when it left, so unless it was damaged somehow during transit there shouldn't be any issues with it. Do you by chance have access to another machine to test it in? If I recall you still have a 2nd 680 as well, correct? Do the problems go away when you remove the new card and run the other one in the same slot?
I only have this card. The one I had before was the 680 SOC. And I believe it that the card was tested and am not faulting Galaxy for this. I don't have another computer to test it out in at the moment but I will see if I can over the next few days. Could this by chance be related to the PSU or even Windows? I would do a full clean install just to see if I can get all my data backed up properly before hand if that even had a chance of affecting it. I'll see what I can do about a new power supply as well.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTech View Post

Good to see the manufacturer involved on here. Hopefully everything will be resolved without issue.

Have you tried a different graphics card in your system to make sure its not something else causing the issues? Possibly power supply? What are the rest of your PC components?
Old September 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM2125 View Post
I only have this card. The one I had before was the 680 SOC. And I believe it that the card was tested and am not faulting Galaxy for this. I don't have another computer to test it out in at the moment but I will see if I can over the next few days. Could this by chance be related to the PSU or even Windows? I would do a full clean install just to see if I can get all my data backed up properly before hand if that even had a chance of affecting it. I'll see what I can do about a new power supply as well.
Its the card, I had similar issues with MSI, they kept sending me broken cards, they are usually, "refurbs". Not sure how these manufacturers test them. I think they are mostly returned.

I want to know how galaxy support tests a bad card? OR any other manufacturer. Anyways, MSI bumped me up to a 580 when I rma'd my old 480, and the 580 was sent twice as the first card had same issues as you. Artifacts.

I am sure Galaxy rep, it was tested before it left your place, but why is it artifacting? I dont think there are any other issues with the PSU etc, as those would cause other issues, not the drivers responding or the artifacts.

Or please list as the steps Galaxy takes to test a card before it's shipped out to the customer? Which programs are used to stress test etc?

Galaxy please pay for return shipping for this man, and send him a new card.

Thanks