Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2012, 07:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Is it worth it to upgrade my GPU?

Hey Gang!

Alright, I need some advice and maybe a little brutal honesty to go with it. Right now I have about $450US socked aside I was going to use to buy a lesser 27" or 24" display. After seeing the image quality loss on 1080P displays I'm considering using it to buy a GPU instead as I would love to step up to the Dell U2713 in the next 6 months to a year.

SKYMTL mentioned selling off my GTX570 now while prices are still good on it. Looking at some of the GPU card reviews none of the cards on the market save the massive GTX690 really seem to run games well at 2560x1440 on full detail.

Here's where I need the brutal honesty. Given my system specs would I even be able to produce the kinds of frame rates a GTX690 or GTX680 can deliver at those resolutions if I only upgrade my GPU? If not, there's really no point in trying to push the issue as dumping $2K into a machine to increase the display 3". It's just not a good investment given how much I game.

Also, how much difference in performance is there between 2650x1600 and 2560x1440 anyway?

- Skip

Last edited by Skippman; September 21, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was in the same situation a year and a half ago - Had a standard 1080P LG with a HD5850 and after a lot of doubt, upgraded to a U2711 first.
If you spend any considerable amount of time with your PC, you won't regret it for a moment.
No matter what you do on your PC, you will use your monitor. Upgrade that first, then save for the GPU (you'll probably even have the option to buy the next gen by then).
Your 570 will lose more of it's value, but then you'll be getting more for your money if you'll get a next-gen card. Till then, just turn settings down in games.. not fun, I know... But that's what I did and I don't regret it.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like to me that you are asking if your i5 2500K is going to be the bottleneck, if I'm reading you correctly.

AFAIK that level of processor and up won't be the bottleneck at any resolution in a single card setup.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Looks like to me that you are asking if your i5 2500K is going to be the bottleneck, if I'm reading you correctly.

AFAIK that level of processor and up won't be the bottleneck at any resolution in a single card setup.

Yeah, I guess in a way I am. When I read hardware reviews they seem to always be using the latest or current gen hardware so I wonder how much using last gen hardware effects the results. I know I'm going to be pushing a pretty high resolution, so I want an idea of what to expect. Also worried my PSU might not be powerful enough, but I think I should be able to run a single GTX680 with it given how much more efficent they've made them now.

So I guess it's time to start comparison shopping GTX680's. I'm an eVGA fan. I'll probably buy thier SuperClocked version and hope the price of that Dell comes down even more. $800 is still pretty steep for a monitor.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can run a 570 on that PSU, you're golden for running the 6xx series as they're much more efficient. As for purchasing a 680, I'd suggest you take a long look at the 670 vs the 680. You can save yourself some cash with a 670 and the differences are negligible. Although, there's a good deal on a Galaxy 680 at NCIX right now for $409.

Your other option is to go with a 7970. (XFX Double D 3Gb on sale right now for $369) This will give you all the muscle your looking for at an even better price. Unless your rooted in the green camp.

The jump to a 27" monitor is certainly nice, but your current monitor is not bad. And depending on what you're doing, you may want to consider a triple monitor setup with two more of the same monitors since there won't be much of a price difference between that and the 27.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, they don't make my monitor anymore and it's a 16ms response time so there's some slight ghosting. I've also noticed the ocassional frame skip between the monitor and the display card. I personally game, browse the web, and use it for school as I attend college at night. My girlfriend something of an artist and wants to get a bit into photo editing with PhotoShop. That's the main reasons I was considering the new Dell. It's a good balance of professional photo grade editing and gaming performance.

I'd not considered a triple monitor setup as having used them in the past for gaming other than the "gee wiz" factor I could notice no real difference. 3D gives me a headache so that's right out. I don't know many companies that make 1920x1200 monitors with decent response times other than Dell anyway.

On AMD vs nVidia. I don't know that I'm solidly on the nVidia bandwagon. Truth be told this is my first nVidia card since my old TnT2 that I paired with a set of Voodoo 2's. (Now THAT'S dating myself!) My last two cards with ATi left me a bit disappointed (4870's in Crossfire) and I was constantly fighting issues with the Crossfire setup. My co-worker recommended I give nVidia another go and so far I've been pleased with my GTX 570.

The games I'm planning on playing seem to do well with the nVidia stuff (BF3, Skyrim, Fallout, STALKER) and the ones getting ready to come out (Aliens: Colonial Marines, X-Com Enemy Unkown) seem to do well with nVidia as well. If Valve announced a new Half-Life game I'd go back to AMD no questions asked. I'm also counting on the next Fallout using the same engine as Skyrim.

Last edited by Skippman; September 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typeo
Old September 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

16ms response does kinda suck. It's really too bad you're not in my area as my company can order DELL monitors at a good discount with maximum warranty for free, plus I don't pay shipping due to our volume purchases. I could have got you a pretty damn good deal.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depending on your budget and when your buying you will need to look again BUT you should be OK with a 570 on a 27" (with some lower settings but nothing too drastic)

If your budget is your main concern then I would be looking at something like dual 660ti's (though the memory bandwith is a bit of a worry) they should give plenty of kick for their price..
Alternatively, drop in a second 570, though with the much less efficient power on it you may be looking at a PSU upgrade too which will make the 660's nearly as viable depending on how cheap you could get a decent 750watt + psu for and card.

Something tells me that the AMD 8 series is gonna be good.. It has to be.. Cos if it's not AMD are in trouble (on both cpu and gpu fronts) and the more top end designs should be able to handle a 27" monitor pretty damn well.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you hesitate between a monitor And a gpu, then for me it is a no-brainer: get yourself a catleap q270 (i'm still impress how great it is!) and start saving for a gpu. But if you intend to game with all the eye-candy on, then a really powerful gpu is needed!
Old September 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Depending on your budget and when your buying you will need to look again BUT you should be OK with a 570 on a 27" (with some lower settings but nothing too drastic)

If your budget is your main concern then I would be looking at something like dual 660ti's (though the memory bandwith is a bit of a worry) they should give plenty of kick for their price..
Alternatively, drop in a second 570, though with the much less efficient power on it you may be looking at a PSU upgrade too which will make the 660's nearly as viable depending on how cheap you could get a decent 750watt + psu for and card.

Something tells me that the AMD 8 series is gonna be good.. It has to be.. Cos if it's not AMD are in trouble (on both cpu and gpu fronts) and the more top end designs should be able to handle a 27" monitor pretty damn well.
You make some good points. I think I'm probably going to be getting an eVGA GTX 680. Based on the reviews I can find online the GTX 680 uses about 40 watts less power than my GTX 570 does now under max load. That means my current Corsair PSU should be able to drive it. Given that GPU prices tend to fall faster than monitor prices I'll probably end up picking up the monitor first.