Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   HD 7990 Review; PowerColor’s Devil 13 COMMENT THREAD (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/56822-hd-7990-review-powercolor-s-devil-13-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL September 19, 2012 09:03 PM

HD 7990 Review; PowerColor’s Devil 13 COMMENT THREAD

AMD's HD 7990 has finally been released, though not in the way some expected. Instead of an official launch, the HD 7990 moniker has been attached to a massively powerful dual GPU card from PowerColor called the Devil 13. Priced at $1000 and boasting a pair of Tahiti XT cores, it promises high performance but is the result really worth the cost of entry?

READ MORE HERE: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...evil-13-a.html

Dzzope September 19, 2012 10:37 PM

Woot.. been looking forward to this.

/edit, slightly disappointed that dual 670 and 7950 (triple, 660ti's and 78070's maybe too) weren't included but a good review.
I think if this was released before the 690 we would be raving at how fast it is and the fact that it uses fully enabled cores.
However, with how long it took (and as noted in the conclusion) the size, noise, temps and (WOW) power draw compared to the 690.. I think only die-hard AMD fans will go for this.

Good card at least 6 months too late.. :S

$849 - 899 and they might be able to compete.. though with 200 units being made they should be able to sell em all..

terrybear September 19, 2012 10:39 PM

Very well done review ..... as ususal :P

I have to agree with your 1 point in your conclusion .... IF you harnessed some 7970's in cf & even oc'ed them you'd probly be gettin around the same preformance unless you probly put the 2 cards on water in a loop.

That said ..... with only 200 available worldwide ... that would definately be a big e-penis enlarger to boast about owning 1 of these bad boys .... and at least the 1 thing is clear on it .... it would at least preform AS A top AMD videocard solution/setup.

EmptyMellon September 19, 2012 10:46 PM

Nice looking card; with a silly name - Devil or 13 on their own would have been just fine. What happened there with the Witcher 2 at 2560x1600 bench, one would think that is the bench where this card would shine. [Now we know the reason why the GTX650 review has not showed up yet, you had bigger fish to fry. :)]

Master_Shake_ September 19, 2012 10:55 PM

this card is 2 pounds lighter than the mars 2 making it 3 pounds...its not that heavy.

the gtx 690 hydro copper edition is 4 pounds...so its all good.

and for some reason the evga gtx 690 signature edition is 4 pounds as well?

SKYMTL September 20, 2012 05:22 AM

There were only so many setups I could retest with the newest drivers before posting this live. I chose the card combinations that were close in performance terms rather than casting an overly large net.

Sagath September 20, 2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyMellon (Post 656856)
Nice looking card; with a silly name - Devil or 13 on their own would have been just fine. What happened there with the Witcher 2 at 2560x1600 bench, one would think that is the bench where this card would shine. [Now we know the reason why the GTX650 review has not showed up yet, you had bigger fish to fry. :)]

It is mentioned in the review that CF drivers are broke with W2, which is why it was not included.

You can read it in the conclusion page:

Quote:

In some cases the PowerColor's flagship can be considered –by a long shot- the fastest graphics card in the world but in other situations AMD’s lack of driver optimizations drags it backwards by leaps and bounds. Even after months of publicized issues, Crossfire profiles for The Wticher 2: EE, Crysis 2 and Skyrim are still either missing or horribly broken.
This is still the reason I will never own dual AMD cards. Their crossfire setup is utter junk, and to be honest, until AMD gets their drivers straightened out generally speaking, I wont own an AMD card. nVidia drivers have been (for me) the most stable for years and years.

Soultribunal September 20, 2012 06:05 AM

Talk about raw power and rarity. Not that I would even own one even with the money but that is one cool card.

-ST

Pabz0r545 September 20, 2012 06:11 AM

I would have liked to see this in comparison to gtx 670 sli.

EmptyMellon September 20, 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 656886)
It is mentioned in the review that CF drivers are broke with W2, which is why it was not included.

You can read it in the conclusion page:

This is still the reason I will never own dual AMD cards. Their crossfire setup is utter junk, and to be honest, until AMD gets their drivers straightened out generally speaking, I wont own an AMD card. nVidia drivers have been (for me) the most stable for years and years.

Yes and yes, it is hard to formulate a quasi-rethorical statement, where I already know the answer. Since the days of looking up the reviews on Tom's for a 6600GT 256MB, AMD has disappointed in the benches where it should have atleast shown a frame or two of playable 3D graphic - and "Fail" was the theme of some of the review's graphs - and just as I was comming closer to even consider buying an AMD card for the home machine (for the second time; 9800 has been the only one so far and even that was a year or so after it came out) - EDIT2: CF driver support is poor. EDIT: Love the 24-pin style power, could have just used one from a motherboard - I know the pin layout is different. :)