Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting how on surround resolutions this Devil13 really shows off much better than "taking quality to the next level."

I'm not completely certain what to think of this card vs the 690 if I was talking surround/eyefinity... but on single monitors, I think the 690 takes the win.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect

Performance wise, the card holds up pretty good, better than I expected...pretty much trades wins between games. The big problem here: cost. Why in the heck would they price it at 999$? I mean you can buy a 690 for the same price or 2 7970s for way cheaper. Doesn't make much sense.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
AMD Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Witcher 2: Cost not run with Ubersampling + AA enabled. I also ran into issues at lower settings (randomly) where the system would hard lock when AA was enabled on Crossfire setups.

Crysis 2: Minimum framerate (or even average minimum framerate) doesn't scale at all.

Skyrim: This one is well publicized. Negative scaling in some instances.
Nothing in current multi-GPU schemes will inhernatly improve min-framerates. True reporting of a minimum framerate is bottlenecked by the slowest rendered frame (either through CPU or GPU) and with alternate frame rate rendering mechanisms a single GPU is still still dedicated to rendering each frame so that slowest frame is still going to be rendered at the same speed.

Skyrim profiles have been updated frequently; scaling can represent as limited because the application is CPU bound. If you are still seeing areas of negative scaling please pass the save file to PR and we can look into it.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Dave, will do. I did this months ago with your PR team but will gladly pass along ALL info again.

Thanks for your attention in this.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
Skyrim profiles have been updated frequently; scaling can represent as limited because the application is CPU bound. If you are still seeing areas of negative scaling please pass the save file to PR and we can look into it.
I appreciate the fact that reps come here to shed some light on subjects at hand. So for that, thank you Dave.

However, your post is a bit lacking overall.

'Updated frequently' and 'working well' are not the same.

Also, another major GPU manufacturer doesnt have the scaling issues in certain games that you're claiming are CPU bound, so either your architecture is flawed in scaling, or your drivers are. I guess the other option you'll claim is those games are 'optimized for their architecture'?

Why did you ignore Skys other point (Witcher 2) that isnt minimum framerate related or CPU bound?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 20, 2012, 08:48 PM
AMD Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
'Updated frequently' and 'working well' are not the same.
They have been updated to address the issues that were seen, hence the question to see the specific negative scaling mentioned here.

Quote:
Also, another major GPU manufacturer doesnt have the scaling issues in certain games that you're claiming are CPU bound, so either your architecture is flawed in scaling, or your drivers are. I guess the other option you'll claim is those games are 'optimized for their architecture'?
Different companies have different mechanisms for implementing outwardly seemingly similar things - Crossfire, for instance, is designed to address more cases overall (e.g. APU+ discrete combinations); as such there are different performances in different applications. Skyrim is one such title that we know it more CPU bound than others, however there are other titles where we see better Crossfire scaling than you may necessarily see on SLI.

Quote:
Why did you ignore Skys other point (Witcher 2) that isnt minimum framerate related or CPU bound?
I didn't ignore it, I just didn't comment on it at this time because I am unfamiliar with the Crossfire performance or potential issues with it, hence I have nothing to add. It has been reported and the benchmark lab will take a look at it and we'll take it from there.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another lovely review. "Beast 13" would have been a more appropriate name IMO and It should be priced at $949 to at least appear reflect its performance in relation with the 690.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
They have been updated to address the issues that were seen, hence the question to see the specific negative scaling mentioned here.

Different companies have different mechanisms for implementing outwardly seemingly similar things - Crossfire, for instance, is designed to address more cases overall (e.g. APU+ discrete combinations); as such there are different performances in different applications. Skyrim is one such title that we know it more CPU bound than others, however there are other titles where we see better Crossfire scaling than you may necessarily see on SLI.

I didn't ignore it, I just didn't comment on it at this time because I am unfamiliar with the Crossfire performance or potential issues with it, hence I have nothing to add. It has been reported and the benchmark lab will take a look at it and we'll take it from there.
Now that is an answer! Thanks!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 21, 2012, 04:56 AM
Top Prospect

I have to say that needing to sending AMD a support query regarding Skryim is a bit worrisome. The game is incredibly old and should be more or less solid at this point in terms of multi GPU profiles.

I've used a ton of ATI products in the past and have nothing against them, and I believe the 7900 series are cards are very nice -- but it would be nice for AMD to fight this perception head on. A lot of people feel nvidia does better in terms of multi GPU profiles, is that a fair assessment? I don't know, possibly - a lot of games had crossfire support before SLI (Alan Wake did, I remember that) yet other games like Witcher 2 crashed in crossfire for way too long and Skyrim had weird scaling issues for way too long. AMD really needs to tackle these issues head on - nvidia throws a lot of money into software and it generally shows. This has an incredible effect on consumer mindshare - AMD needs to do this as well. Now things seem to be better these days versus a year ago...but with the 8000 series coming soon it's very important to win the mindshare and perception of consumers back.

A reviewer shouldn't have to send a support query over a 1 year old game such as Skyrim. The software team at AMD should have tackled such issues many many months ago. Hopefully the bad issues from a year ago will be fixed with the next gen 8000 parts, and it appears AMD gaming evolved is picking up steam with picking up EA, Square Enix and Far Cry 3.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In fairness Skyrim also had negative scaling (worse performance in SLI vice single card) on my SLI'd 560ti cards in the early days. That was resolved over time, but was there initially.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP