Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
Rookie

Default Faulty Video Card?

Hello, I own a XFX Radeon HD 5770 and my graphics would occasionally go crazy. Here is a picture: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting. I have tried reinstalling drivers (using Driver Fusion) and my temperatures are never above 60 degrees Celsius. I use this graphics card on a GA-H55-USB3 Gigabyte motherboard and an i5 first gen CPU.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Try running Unigine Heaven and see whether you get any artifacts there. With the way AMD develop their drivers you can lose tons of performance in specific games/apps by upgrading driver version to a new one... :/
Old September 19, 2012, 03:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Do what gt said first if you are getting errors there remove any oc and try again..if the problem still persists I would suggest an rma if still under warranty.or reseating and 're apply thermal paste on the gpu
Old September 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
Rookie

I will try running Unigine Heaven and get back to you. I tried 3DMark and I saw artifacts (is this the proper term?).

Sadly it is out of warranty...and XFX has not replied since their first response to my ticket. I have also tried reseating the card and that has not fixed the problem. As for thermal pasting, wouldn't that only be an issue if my temperatures are high?

Thank you for the responses!

Update: Yep. Ran Unigine Heaven and got the same problem.

Last edited by BEEPBEEPTaxi; September 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run memtest and see if you get any errors. My money is on VRAM error. If that's the case, there's not really much you can do. Maybe contact XFX and explain to them you problem. Who knows, maybe they'll be kind enough to replace the RAM.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Keep in mind that Dota 2 is still in Beta, there are still a few odd bugs here and there. Most of the time it can be fixed by restarting the client.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Rookie

I ran memtest and got 0% errors. I have also tried using a Video RAM Stress test, and upon using it I received an endless stream of errors. Sadly, I don't think XFX feels charitable right now, because I have not heard from them for days.

Silvgearx, this issue came up in Starcraft II, Darksiders, Heroes of Newerth, Call of Duty, and pretty much any 3D game that you throw at me, so I don't think it's Dota 2 that's the source of my problem.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had a 5770 and in many games it really didn't like AA (or at least with certain drivers)... try disable any AA and possibly AF settings and try to re-produce it. (though I didn't have issues with AF)

The glitching your getting isn't the same as I had but then it's a totally different game / engine to what I was getting it with.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Dzzope, I just tried using Unigine Heaven with no AA and I still had the problem. I've also tried reapplying thermal pasting, but that has solved nothing. At this point, I'm looking for a replacement graphics card. Does anyone know a card that is equal in terms of performance? Thank you guys for all the help again.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Another 5770... you'll get it cheap as dirt.. or a 460..

If your looking new then I guess the new 650 / 7770 would be a good option.