Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Power supply requirements

Ok I have a quick question that I can not seem to find a proper response for on the interwebs.

I need to know what the power supply requirements are for a Asus ENGTX570 DirectCU II. I have only found on one review and would like to know if it is correct. The one review on legitreviews states that it needs a 550W PSU. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I have a older machine here at work that they want to stick this card into, but it only has a 430W antec with 17A on the 12V. I doubt it is powerful enough and I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Old September 6, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't put it in an older machine full stop (depending on your definition of older)

And 430 might just run it but you would be on the very edge... Psu bump would be needed IMO..
Old September 6, 2012, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

what are the specs of this old machine...depending on those it might be pointless to put that card into it
Old September 6, 2012, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Depending on teh machine it might not be worth it as other have stated, but a Quality 550W should suffice for that card. I ran a heck of a lot monre on a 650W and my APC showed only 400.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 6, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly can't remember the full specs for the machine but I think it is around a q6600. Also this is not for games or anything of the sort. They are using it for some 3D work with regards to satellite imagery. It is a card that was pulled out of a different machine that got a quardro card and they were hoping to put it into this system. I think I will have to recommend that they get a new psu before I put it into the machine. They didn't want to spend more but it is only a psu so not that much.

Old September 6, 2012, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably safe bet. At least thats my thoughts.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 6, 2012, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

GeForce.com lists a minimum system power requirement of 550W for the GTX 670, a quality 550-650 PSU should be enough.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It may run on that psu, but I would not recommend it or do it myself.I would recommend 550w min, but would choose a 620-650w for long term use.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get the cheapest (quality) psu you can find that is over the 550W mark..
XFX blacks are usually reasonable and if memory serves they were seasonic built..
Old September 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We usually recommend corsair psu's and most likely that is what we will order, but it is ultimately up to the person who's machine it is.

Thanks for the input, it helped me verify what I thought.