Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I wouldn't call it a waste as you'll see consdierable improvements across the board. There may undoubtedly be occassions when you might see some bottlenecking but a bit more of an OC on the Q6600 if you can manage it may help out there. It's an amazing CPU, one of the best Intel made when it comes to overclocking.
I think my ram is limiting the CPU from going over 3.4. But it seems happy at 3.2. Currently running it at the stock setting iirc is 2.4GHz. And it runs BF3 without much issue. Love that little CPU. I still have the original Core2 Duo running in my wifey's system. Rockin out at a blistering 1.8Ghz. Funny thing, that Core2 clocks better pound for pound than the quad. But replacing the Duo with the quad back in 07 sure made a difference in Unreal based games clock for clock the quad won every time. The Duo will clock to 2.8Ghz on air.

I do tend to wander. It's why I don't post much hehe. Anywho, Any idea what I might see in terms of performance vs. the 5870? It's around the mark I like to spend on GPU's. Same price as I paid for the 5870 if I remember right.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You'll see an increase but only you can say if it's worth it.. Right on the edge of keep / upgrade IMO..

If you can live with it, wait till next gen.. if not, then upgrade..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
pretty sure the 670 is more than good enough for 27" 2560x1440 monitors. the 7970's real performance win is in multimon setups.
Enough for it, yes.. More than enough for it, NO..

All comes down to what settings you want, what games you play and what you want for minimum fps, a single 670 will drop to 30fps @ max settings in quite a few games at that res and for some thats just not what they want.

Last edited by Dzzope; September 8, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Enough for it, yes.. More than enough for it, NO..

All comes down to what settings you want, what games you play and what you want for minimum fps, a single 670 will drop to 30fps @ max settings in quite a few games at that res and for some thats just not what they want.
As a person with a 2560x1440 monitor, and recently doing the research in to these exact issues, the alternatives are dual card set ups as you mentioned. Even with a 680 or 7970 they struggle at this resolution to push >40 fps at max settings on a single card. The OC'd 670's are pushing stock 680 performance (or beyond) which is enough to play, but its really moot. Dual cards are the only true way to go for this.

I'm not sold on multimon/dual card setups being an "AMD" only choice. Their crossfire solution has been sub-par for nigh on years now, and doesnt seem to be getting much better. Ask Arinoth, he tried multi monitor dual Crossfire, and gave it up as a lost cause in the late 6xxx series stage.

But hey, you could just label me a fanboi I guess.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 8, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
As a person with a 2560x1440 monitor, and recently doing the research in to these exact issues, the alternatives are dual card set ups as you mentioned. Even with a 680 or 7970 they struggle at this resolution to push >40 fps at max settings on a single card. The OC'd 670's are pushing stock 680 performance (or beyond) which is enough to play, but its really moot. Dual cards are the only true way to go for this.

I'm not sold on multimon/dual card setups being an "AMD" only choice. Their crossfire solution has been sub-par for nigh on years now, and doesnt seem to be getting much better. Ask Arinoth, he tried multi monitor dual Crossfire, and gave it up as a lost cause in the late 6xxx series stage.

But hey, you could just label me a fanboi I guess.
??? I run a 680 at stock settings for 5760x1080 resolution and the only games that struggle with max settings (out of the ones I own) are metro 2033 and BF 3. Just Cause 2, L4D 2, and Skyrim are extremely playable with max settings. Also, the "playable settings" for BF 3 are only one step down from max and it's really really hard to tell the difference.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
??? I run a 680 at stock settings for 5760x1080 resolution and the only games that struggle with max settings (out of the ones I own) are metro 2033 and BF 3. Just Cause 2, L4D 2, and Skyrim are extremely playable with max settings. Also, the "playable settings" for BF 3 are only one step down from max and it's really really hard to tell the difference.
I'm not sure what your "???" is about. Im agreeing with you that it is playable. 2560x1600 in BF3 at Max settings is 46 fps max, avg...ah hell here is the graph:

So, like I said. Its playable at this setting.

My post was regarding multi monitor GPU setups, which DO 'struggle' at 5k x 1k resolutions, max settings, as seen here: Edit: Blocked out from outside sites. You can google this stuff up anyways.

Anyways, there is a tonne of reviews out on the internet about this stuff. I dont need to rehash what has been proven.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I'm not sure what your "???" is about. Im agreeing with you that it is playable. 2560x1600 in BF3 at Max settings is 46 fps max, avg...ah hell here is the graph:

My post was regarding multi monitor GPU setups, which DO 'struggle' at 5k x 1k resolutions, max settings, as seen here: Edit: Blocked out from outside sites. You can google this stuff up anyways.

Anyways, there is a tonne of reviews out on the internet about this stuff. I dont need to rehash what has been proven.
I play on 3x 1080p monitors... I think the 680 is very sufficient (i.e. about the same as the card reviewed), and will play almost all titles on max resolution, so I don't see why you'd suggest max settings 2560x1440 is hard for this card to achieve. That's what the ??? is about.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I play on 3x 1080p monitors... I think the 680 is very sufficient
Very important here is the "you play" and "you think".. What is sufficient for 1 person is not for another..
Some people want the full 60FPS minimum at absolutely max settings in everything they play.

When advising hardware it's always good to find out how important these things are to people as some people would be happy running mid setting at 30fps on 560ti..

Whatever they want, who are we to argue.. we can only advise that x hardware will give y performance and tweak budgets to better match peoples needs as they explain them.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I play on 3x 1080p monitors... I think the 680 is very sufficient (i.e. about the same as the card reviewed), and will play almost all titles on max resolution, so I don't see why you'd suggest max settings 2560x1440 is hard for this card to achieve. That's what the ??? is about.
again, I agreed with you that it is playable at 2560x1440, as I said in the previous post. It is also sufficient for about 46fps average in BF3, or however you want to word it.

The fact you 'think' your 680 is 'very sufficient' at 3x1080 is like saying "this is huge". I'm not sure what 'very sufficient' is. Maybe you fine 30 fps okay in BF3. I dont know. Maybe you're lowing down the quality level. I dont know.

Framerates are concrete and the methods to get them are scientific. Hence me linking the review showing hard numbers with various quality levels and resolution sizes. One 2560x1600 screen gets 46 fps avg. Googling up triple monitor setups shows a much lower number, verging (in my opinion) on unplayable framerates for a FPS while running one GPU. Again, this is why I referenced to SLI in my thread with multiple monitor setups.

But again, if you're happy, hey, cool story.
Quote:
Old September 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well I run 2560X1440 with one 670 and I think that is merely adequate. To me 60FPS minimum is the point where I would consider a graphics solution to be "very sufficient" and one 670 is not capable of that at max settings. I keep thinking about getting another 670 but can't bring myself to spend another $400 on a graphics card.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Framerates do not tell the whole story, and that is what I'm trying to get across.. Think about micro-stuttering... does that show up in FPS counters? no. When I say very sufficient I mean that I don't notice any graphical lag during gameplay. And yes, I am agreeing with some of your points, just not all of them. No need to remind me that we agree on some points of discussion. And yes, I have stated that both BF 3 and Metro 2033 have to have some of the settings turned down one notch from maximum to achieve a lag free experience. I'm just trying to provide extra experience for the user who had the question so he can make a better decision based on what is important to him, playability at near max settings or max everything & 60fps all the time.