Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I have a Asus AMD HD6670 - it does not have a display port, it does have three ports (DVI, VGA, HDMI) and I have three monitors hooked up, BUT only two can be active at one time. OR so I have found. Is there anyway to get this system to display on all three monitors??
You can only use the DVI or VGA. You need the "display port version" to be able to run 3 monitors. Like this one. ASUS Radeon HD 6670 810MHZ 1GB 4GHZ DDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort DirectX 11 PCI-E Video Card
Old November 2, 2012, 06:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up Second HD6670 Ordered

After considering my options and given that I already bought a ASUS HD6670 without a display port and having kept it more than the seven days Memory Express allows for unquestioned returns; I decided my best recourse is to crossfire that HD6670 with another HD6670 which does have a display port.

Here`s what I ordered: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33187

With Memory Express price match I'm getting it for $87.49. (Newegg.ca had it on for $89.99)

I could have retired my two week old HD6670 and tried a 7770 for about $60+ more but from what I can see the 6670`s crossfired should come close to a 7770 (I'll have to see if that turns out to be true). I did toy with this `opportunity` to upgrade to an even more expensive card ($200+++) and try to sell the HD6670 but my frugle Scottish heritage prevailed and I went with the least expensive option that still would give me the three screen array I want. I did consider returning the third screen and `living with`two screens but I`m not that self disciplined and spoil myself too easily these days.

This DIY computer hobby is getting costly. I have to remember that this whole exercise started because my old rig was DDR2 with only two memory slots on the motherboard. Initially I just wanted more RAM and bauked at the prices being charged for two 8 GB sticks of DDR2. But I got hooked and the total cost of this new rig just keeps on going up and up. I`m afraid to total all these receipts I have collected in my mboard box.

Had I known about the need for a displayport I probably could have saved the $83 I paid for the first 6670, but on the upside I'll have 3 GB of VRAM and two cards delivering video in tandem. I've read that mixing the memory on these crossfired cards should not present any compatibility issues (2 GB DDR3 + 1 GB DDR5).

We will see.

I`m downloading some benchmarking freeware tonight and will post the results for the A10 + HD6670 in dual graphic mode. IF I get inspired might try the HD6670 with the Dual-Graphic's disabled to see how much extra umph I get with this dual-graphic feature while I'm still using it. Once the second card is installed good bye dual-graphics. I am interested in how well the two cards will crossfire through the PCIe 2.0.

I did look into the possibility of trying a three way crossfire with the two HD6670 and the integrated GPU on the APU. After some searching I learned this is not possible. It kinda says so on the AMD website where I read: `Note that AMD CrossFireX technology in greater than dual mode is not supported with AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 graphics products.` AMD Radeon

Old November 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Newegg.ca does not deliver to Rural or Small Town Canada

Small side story - I was not happy that Memory Express has such a short window of opportunity for returns, I read Newegg.ca has a 30 day return policy, and their prices for the ASUS card was cheaper and they were offering free shipping (on the card). I also needed an active displayport adapter and they had two I was interested in, one by Sapphire ($26) and the other by Visiontek ($24) (same size thing one was $9.99 to ship, the other $10.74 odd). The Visiontek has a lifetime warranty, Sapphire only 90 days and a fair number of 1 egg reviews because of failure after a few months use. So I was going with the Visiontek. HOWever - Newegg.ca only ships via UPS, and when I tried to checkout they did not like my rural address, I`ve had that problem before with our P.O. Box. So I used the street address of my office, we get courier delivery all the time. But the UPS system refused to accept my office street address. I called Newegg`s 1-800 number, and waited online for over half an hour before giving up and just ordering it from Memory Express (and they only carried the Sapphire adapter, but do give it a one year warranty not the 90 days Newegg offered) And because at Memory Express it was $39.99 I got it for less on their price match. If it lasts a year it should last forever - or I`ll buy something else. Sapphire isn`t a junk company so I think I`ll be fine.

I`ll see if there is a way to send this story to Newegg and see what they have to say, can`t call them and get through.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I did find Newegg.ca`s feedback section and sent them my unhappy feedback about their delivery service not serving rural or small town Canada. Will post any reply I get.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Instead of a return, try to ask for a exchange, get a ATI HD 7770 with Display Port. A single 7770 = 6670 in CF in performance chart wise. In real world gaming, the single 7770 will be a better performer + lower power draw. Most 7770 comes with Display Port and can be found around $100.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
Instead of a return, try to ask for a exchange, get a ATI HD 7770 with Display Port. A single 7770 = 6670 in CF in performance chart wise. In real world gaming, the single 7770 will be a better performer + lower power draw. Most 7770 comes with Display Port and can be found around $100.
I did ask for an exchange - Memory Express's policy on exchanges is 7 days unless the product is defective then it is 30 days. Newegg.ca does have a more generous 30 day window to change your mind and return the product but as posted above they will not ship to my home or office because they ship with UPS and their "ship to" section would not let me enter either my post office box nor my office street address.