Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2012, 07:09 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTech View Post
While I personally tend towards the dual fan GC edition cards, I can say that the Galaxy 670 GC single fan edition is a beast of a card for the price. Considering it's got 680 clocks, a 680 reference cooler, and our custom 680 PCB, I'd say it's a lot closer to being a GTX 680 minus an SMX unit than it is to being a highly customized 670. Although the dual fan cooler is quieter there's certainly nothing loud about the reference cooler on the 680 either.

Plus, as has been said, I'm always around to make sure rebates, replacements, troubleshooting and the like get taken care of post haste.
Just curious - any reason the rear mounting plate for the 670's has a more air restrictive grill than the 660's? (And can they be swapped?)
Old September 7, 2012, 12:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

6 120mm case fans and water on the CPU.. you'll have no problem with heat.. I have 2 140MM and 2 120 mm and no issues (air on CPU too)

Obviously it's your call on which you want but you have no worries with either card.

Thing to note though is that if you'll be overclocking it, the better the cooler the better the clocks..
Old September 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
Allstar

No problems with heat but do you wear hearing protection?
Old September 8, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Granted mine is not the quietest system in the world but at idle you won't be generating any more noise than you are now and at load I would be guessing you will have Headset on or speakers?

Really the heat dump in your case is nothing that your current set-up will have to work any harder than it currently does..

P.S
The loudest thing in my system is the PSU. :( (which I got free and can't justify changing until I go SLI / build a new rig)
Old September 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
Allstar

Usually speakers as I prefer to be able to keep track of ambient sounds. Loudest in mine was the Corsair memory fan till I took it out. 3x40mm makes surprisingly loud sound. Now it's very quiet unless I turn up the vid card blower. it's noisy past 35% and sounds like a small vacuum cleaner past 50% and a small jet at 100% :)

But turned up it even drops the case temps a degree by exhausting heat, not just the gpu temps.