Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   XFX DD 6870 performance lacking (I think) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/56482-xfx-dd-6870-performance-lacking-i-think.html)

LordHood2 September 2, 2012 10:14 PM

XFX DD 6870 performance lacking (I think)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys.

I've just got some questions for the community to help me with. Basically, I dont think my GPU is performing as good as I think it should be. I can't really put my finger on it, but a lot of times even tho my FPS is 35+, it doesn't really seem "good", despite settings being decent or better. Things dont seem to be as lucid. This is especially noticeable in CoD:MW3. even tho I have the settings cranked, and push 45fps, it still seems to be jerky. Again, I can't quite put my finger on it, and thus started some testing to see what i could find. But the testing confused and annoyed me even more, because it kinda proved more so that something was off.

I've run Furmark and Unigene, and have attatched a .zip of an OpenOffice spreadsheet for furmark, and 3 Unigene results.

GPU: XFX DD 6870 (OC'd at 950mhz Core; Memory @ 1150mhz; stock voltage (cannot change with MSi Afterburner).

EDIT:
On a side note, I am using just a single-link DVI, but does the kind of cable affect anything at all?

LarkStarr September 2, 2012 11:20 PM

Might be better if you record a video of a benchmark or a game using a smartphone or something.

LordHood2 September 2, 2012 11:30 PM

well that wouldn't really prove anything, because w/e recording device I use wouldn't be able to pick up the same imperfections that I can see.

BigPhatPaulie September 3, 2012 12:35 AM

Im wondering if that PSU is getting a bit out of its league... could be the cpu lagging too

LordHood2 September 3, 2012 12:56 AM

Well the PSU was my second thought, but the CPU shouldn't be lagging. Unless the AI Suite utility is screwing with the OC...

GT7R September 3, 2012 02:36 AM

Run Unigine Heaven (which is only GPU dependent, not CPU) and monitor the performance of the card. AMD cards are known to load the CPU much more than NVIDIA's counterparts.

Bond007 September 3, 2012 07:58 AM

MY guess if I had to make one would be the cpu. Easy way to tell if its the CPU is to open up task manager, go in game until things are well loaded (lots going on and fps lagging behind what you think it should be...then exit out and check to see what your cpu usage is like. If its >90% or so that is your limiting factor. Also you could download MSI afterburner and do the exact same thing...only afterburner will tell you your GPU usage. If the GPU isn't maxed out then the CPU isn't feeding it enough info. It will also let you see if you are maxing out the vram on the video card.

Bloodystumps September 3, 2012 10:28 AM

Turn the GFX settings down on COD , it is a console game and turning the settings up to max will degrade the picture quality for pc .

it is designed for max on a console! you are running a PC so set it to native and you will see it runs much smother .

BlueByte September 3, 2012 10:42 AM

I helped a friend with something similar recently, his cpu was holding him back and his gaming "surged" is the best way I can describe this. Fraps was saying he had 45-50fps, but the min frame rates were single digits trying to feed his gpu. we poped a new cpu in and his surging went away. I would lean towards something like this, your 4100 should be powerful enough to feed it, but maybe hitting thermal, down clocking any number of things could take a decent cpu and make it perform like this.

elmorejohn46 September 4, 2012 09:26 PM

Really the Phenom II 965 black edition is faster then the new AMD CPUS.Plus do you have your cpu overclock as much as it will do.Should be able to do 4.2gigs up to 4.5gig just acording how good of a overclocker it is.Your power supply should be fine since it has 49amps on the 12v rail.