Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
AMD Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WELL, reguardless someone's previous argument about power consumption vs 660, I still think if the cards go for around this its not a bad buy at all.
Looking at the peak power consumption alone is a little one dimensional. Both cards require 2x 6 pin connectors and if you have a PSU that has two (or more) connectors the likelihood is that you're not taking on additional cost on the platform to support either. There is also a large number of AiB options out there to keep them cooler and quieter.

I think what users should also consider is their usage patterns of their PC. Anyone that plays games for a few hours but then leaves their PC on for a significant period of time then ZeroCore power is potentially buying more back in total PC on-time.
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,208

My System Specs

Default

Yaaaa, electricity isn't very expensive in this country. Ultimately I think we're talking about pennies a month when comparing power consumption from one video card to another. I can't be bothered to do the actual math, so I leave it up to someone else to prove me wrong. And ya know? For pennies a month, I'm not really concerned about a couple of watts difference from the 660Ti to the 7950. The important metrics are performance, price, noise, in that order. Honestly, a whole bunch of us here are system overclockers. How can we even pretend to be concerned with power consumption? Hell, if you're so concerned about power, turn off all your fancy case lighting, return your components to stock clocks, and turn off your desk lamp.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Nothing wrong with Powercolor, mate.

This is one damn fine cooler!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yes, even powercolour. Everybody has their one manufacturer that they've had nothing but trouble with, Sapphire is mine. In fact I modelled my moderating style here with the goal of being the complete opposite to what I received over at their old support site.
I only mention it cause not to long ago, there was alot of peaple slandering powercolor for being bad for whatever reasons ... Meanwhile i've now owned 2 back 2 back oem/original blower models by them & in fact they've had higher oc's on them then the same from other companies ...

Myself im not realy biased against any companies accept maybe Asus cause of my own experiences with them (yes I do own a asus mb but i couldnt resist for the deal i got on it) & also a ex friends experience working for them internaly on there business side of things .. Kinda reminds me further how tons of peaple slag biostar & ECS for there products ... but there a company(s) whom to have been known for some "sleeper" products.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Yaaaa, electricity isn't very expensive in this country. Ultimately I think we're talking about pennies a month when comparing power consumption from one video card to another. I can't be bothered to do the actual math, so I leave it up to someone else to prove me wrong. And ya know? For pennies a month, I'm not really concerned about a couple of watts difference from the 660Ti to the 7950. The important metrics are performance, price, noise, in that order. Honestly, a whole bunch of us here are system overclockers. How can we even pretend to be concerned with power consumption? Hell, if you're so concerned about power, turn off all your fancy case lighting, return your components to stock clocks, and turn off your desk lamp.
.... SO true & very well put !! One could also argue as well to use less case fans too or dial them all down to slower speeds !!
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
Looking at the peak power consumption alone is a little one dimensional. Both cards require 2x 6 pin connectors and if you have a PSU that has two (or more) connectors the likelihood is that you're not taking on additional cost on the platform to support either. There is also a large number of AiB options out there to keep them cooler and quieter.

I think what users should also consider is their usage patterns of their PC. Anyone that plays games for a few hours but then leaves their PC on for a significant period of time then ZeroCore power is potentially buying more back in total PC on-time.
As just a joe schmoe this does make sense about your point on the other AiBs vs PowerCooler (not slamming PC...just like I know you are NOT throwing PC under the bus here, more a case of THIS PC vs other AiB options). I too would love to see what some of AMD's other AiBs boosted 7950s can do. BUT I dont see Skymtl spending more of his own cash to prove this one way or the other.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quick note just because a few of you are forgetting.
If you have something to add, edit your original post instead of making new posts back to back.
Saves me handing out infractions for something so silly.

On another note,
I agree with the weak driver support. I, and two of my friends had nothing but Horror stories with X-fire and the 6XXX series cards.
The cards and performance have always been secondary to actual full functionality on what I want.
I would take a 5FPS hit or a 10FPS hit so long as it ment my Multi-GPU didn't crap out.
Thats the only thing that keeps me leary from getting 7XXX series GPU's.

SOme nice looking ones from all the AiB's though.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
We do not release boards without "official AMD supported drivers". Every driver we send out has gone through our qualification screening and is an official AMD driver (in the box drivers or downloadable from AMD.com). We may send out drivers without WHQL certification in some cases because the additional cycle time required to get little more than a logo cert may not warrant delaying a product for a potentially significant period. Lack of WHQL, though, does not mean it is not an official AMD driver.
There we are, AMD Releases 10.12 Catalyst Drivers & Redesigned Catalyst Control Center . That's my post back around when the 6870 launched, it had VERY poor crossfire support "release drivers" and only ever worked on the beta ones until the next version came out. This was in games even that had the AMD badge for crossfire and/or eyefinity to boot.

It should be noted though that when the HD6970s came out I don't recall having any driver issues with (the 6970s) crossfire and/or eyefinity. It was literally just the 6870s that seemed to have rather poorly supported and buggy release drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
Master_Shake_'s Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 125

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
On another note,
I agree with the weak driver support. I, and two of my friends had nothing but Horror stories with X-fire and the 6XXX series cards.
The cards and performance have always been secondary to actual full functionality on what I want.
I would take a 5FPS hit or a 10FPS hit so long as it ment my Multi-GPU didn't crap out.

-ST
this is BS, at the release of the MARS 2 crossfired 6970's were on the top of the performance charts...half way through its product cycle.

Review: ASUS ROG Dual GTX 580 MARS II - Graphics - HEXUS.net

take a look 6970's in crossfire are almost always at the top
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
this is BS, at the release of the MARS 2 crossfired 6970's were on the top of the performance charts...half way through its product cycle.

Review: ASUS ROG Dual GTX 580 MARS II - Graphics - HEXUS.net

take a look 6970's in crossfire are almost always at the top
Wow, chill out MS.
I wasn't Saying THERE WAS a performance hit/difference. I was saying I would TAKE one if it ment that my X-fired XFX 6950's didn't fail to be recoginized and cause massive issues with EVE, WoW and such.

READ before you respond.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2012, 05:24 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,687

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
I'm currently running a GTX 460, and before that was a Radeon 5770. I didn't notice driver issues for either company during games (single monitor only), but I did run a dual monitor desktop setup. I also would switch monitor cables often since I'd plug my tv in for watching movies. This is where I noticed a huge difference between nVidia and ATI drivers. I have never had an issue with nVidia recognizing a monitor or my tv. When I was running the ATI card, I would constantly have issues with trying to get the monitors recognized when I was swapping. It may not be a big deal to some, but personally I lean toward nVidia since it makes my setup run a little better.

I had constant issues with my 5770 when AA was on... glitching textures etc in a variety of games and tried various drivers...
moved to a 560Ti and they were solved.. explanation? AMD have shit drivers..

P.S, why move from a 5770 to 460.. negligible performance difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
this is BS, at the release of the MARS 2 crossfired 6970's were on the top of the performance charts...half way through its product cycle.

Review: ASUS ROG Dual GTX 580 MARS II - Graphics - HEXUS.net

take a look 6970's in crossfire are almost always at the top
Look at the 690 review.. nothing but trouble from x-fire.. With more mature drivers too..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PowerColor Launches HD 7950 Boost State Edition; Proves Our Concerns Unfounded SKYMTL Video Cards 0 August 16, 2012 05:59 AM
Gigabyte & MSI HD 7950 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 6 April 19, 2012 05:52 PM
PowerColor HD 6850 1GB SCS3 Passive Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 13 July 10, 2011 05:41 AM
OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI-E Solid State Drive Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Storage 17 October 20, 2010 11:19 PM