Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
not too off topic, but i read over on fud here sapphire has released a vaporx 7950 oc with a tweaked clock of 850 base & 950 boosted ... supost to be @ $350 price point .... so take that for what its worth .. :)
If that was any manufacturer other than Sapphire I'd be having a close look at it. :) Pricing is probably about right for an OC'd card with a premium cooler.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WELL, reguardless someone's previous argument about power consumption vs 660, I still think if the cards go for around this its not a bad buy at all.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If that was any manufacturer other than Sapphire I'd be having a close look at it. :) Pricing is probably about right for an OC'd card with a premium cooler.
Even powercolor ??
Old August 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
One thing I really wish AMD would do is have better drivers. There are times where I've been between an AMD and a nVidia card (personally or recommending) that have had similar performance/price in the past, but tend to recommend nVidia for the single fact that nVidia tends to have better drivers. I can't count the number of times I've had to deal with driver issues on AMD/ATI cards in the past and again just would love if AMD could come out with drivers that help boost their products, aren't a hassle/problem to the user, and with some of their cards COME with native support. I remember the 6870 launching without any official drivers from AMD for over a month...that was great support/planning from them...
This always seems strange to me as I have used both and have not had any real issues with either Nvidia or AMD. I tend not to run multi gpu setups, maybe that's why, but I can honestly say I have never had any issues worth mentioning with ati/amd and I have built a ton of computers and even switch back and forth between them on the same build. I must be a very lucky guy. sorry that many do have issues though.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbster View Post
This always seems strange to me as I have used both and have not had any real issues with either Nvidia or AMD. I tend not to run multi gpu setups, maybe that's why, but I can honestly say I have never had any issues worth mentioning with ati/amd and I have built a ton of computers and even switch back and forth between them on the same build. I must be a very lucky guy. sorry that many do have issues though.
I agree here with kirbster ..... I honestly think this whole "nvidia's drivers are better" argument comes off so "fanboyish" its not funny .... AND as I pointed out previously as tom's did a few years back nvidia's drivers are MAYBE better preforming ONLY CAUSE there cpu clock accellerated! Only on the RARE occasion is there a actualy hardware conflict that causes the driver errors to occure.

The ONLY time peaple ususaly have issue's with a driver on a system is IF the previous other company's drivers & registry markers are left on the os before the install of the other card. This is where nvidia is most guiltiest of trickery cause when you do a full uninstall of there stuff .. there still is traces of it in the registry that cause a ati/amd product to not funtion properly .... This has been reported on MANY forums over the years someone goin from nvidia to ati/amd & when it not working right sayin "**** this **** ati/amd card im returning it & gettin another nvidia card. And shure enough that new nvidia card preforms like the previous one. Meanwhile anyone whom knows to or does so themselves the driver cleaner thing .. will do so & not have a issue enjoying there new ati/amd card.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Even powercolor ??
Nothing wrong with Powercolor, mate.

This is one damn fine cooler!!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Even powercolor ??
Yes, even powercolour. Everybody has their one manufacturer that they've had nothing but trouble with, Sapphire is mine. In fact I modelled my moderating style here with the goal of being the complete opposite to what I received over at their old support site.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
I agree here with kirbster ..... I honestly think this whole "nvidia's drivers are better" argument comes off so "fanboyish" its not funny .... AND as I pointed out previously as tom's did a few years back nvidia's drivers are MAYBE better preforming ONLY CAUSE there cpu clock accellerated! Only on the RARE occasion is there a actualy hardware conflict that causes the driver errors to occure.

The ONLY time peaple ususaly have issue's with a driver on a system is IF the previous other company's drivers & registry markers are left on the os before the install of the other card. This is where nvidia is most guiltiest of trickery cause when you do a full uninstall of there stuff .. there still is traces of it in the registry that cause a ati/amd product to not funtion properly .... This has been reported on MANY forums over the years someone goin from nvidia to ati/amd & when it not working right sayin "**** this **** ati/amd card im returning it & gettin another nvidia card. And shure enough that new nvidia card preforms like the previous one. Meanwhile anyone whom knows to or does so themselves the driver cleaner thing .. will do so & not have a issue enjoying there new ati/amd card.
yeah...and all the CCC issue that crop up ON NEW BUILDS are just NV fanbois too? Bollocks. ATI had weak drivers with great hardware. AMD has great improved their drivers and driver support but it still is an area they need to work on.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm currently running a GTX 460, and before that was a Radeon 5770. I didn't notice driver issues for either company during games (single monitor only), but I did run a dual monitor desktop setup. I also would switch monitor cables often since I'd plug my tv in for watching movies. This is where I noticed a huge difference between nVidia and ATI drivers. I have never had an issue with nVidia recognizing a monitor or my tv. When I was running the ATI card, I would constantly have issues with trying to get the monitors recognized when I was swapping. It may not be a big deal to some, but personally I lean toward nVidia since it makes my setup run a little better.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
AMD Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I remember the 6870 launching without any official drivers from AMD for over a month...that was great support/planning from them...
We do not release boards without "official AMD supported drivers". Every driver we send out has gone through our qualification screening and is an official AMD driver (in the box drivers or downloadable from AMD.com). We may send out drivers without WHQL certification in some cases because the additional cycle time required to get little more than a logo cert may not warrant delaying a product for a potentially significant period. Lack of WHQL, though, does not mean it is not an official AMD driver.