Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post
From a technical perspective, it actually can. At present we have chosen not to take this route specifically to limit variability.
I am sure, which is why I made it a point within the review to mention that the technology will mature quite well as time goes by.

Now we reviewers need a tool to properly measure PT Boost!
Old August 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
From a technical perspective, it actually can. At present we have chosen not to take this route specifically to limit variability.
Do you work for AMD?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Do you work for AMD?
I'm gonna say its safe to assume yes. In Which case staff would have contacted to assign a Manu Tag so there is no confusion.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya, I wasn't 'accusing' him of working for AMD. I asking more in the sense of 'Oh, it's nice that they pay attention to communities and take feedback'. Speaking as a loyal AMD customer, of course, lol ;)

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ya, I wasn't 'accusing' him of working for AMD. I asking more in the sense of 'Oh, it's nice that they pay attention to communities and take feedback'. Speaking as a loyal AMD customer, of course, lol ;)
Lol,

I wasn't saying you were accusing, was just making a general statement :)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 21, 2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Do you work for AMD?
He does.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
He does.
Our very own AMD rep??? Would be good for insight to their products if nothing else.
(and maybe someone to sway the "your all nvidia fanboys" accusations that fly every time there is a review that goes the green way)
Old August 21, 2012, 06:28 PM

I don't think that will happen. Dave is a quiet guy who won't wade into the arguments that pop up far too frequently.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
AMD Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
As far as the Review goes.... I came away kinda Meh.... yeah it appears to perform better than a 660ti, but even at the higher res I'm not convinved that it's $50+ better. There's (IMO) a huge pricepoint difference between purchasing something sub $300 (or any $100 mark for that matter) and something either mid $300 or even worse, 3/4 of the way to $400.
Give it a little mre time for more board to be available and the pricing to settle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
As for the HD 7950 Boost coming down to $319 right away; I'll believe it when I see it. I can't for a moment think AMD would shoot their board partners in the foot like that. But if it does happen....customers will be in for a treat!
At the ASIC level every PRO built can operate at PRO2 levels using the PRO2 BIOS so floor pricing is already dictated by that.

Quote:
You'll find various members from different communities. ATI actually picked me up "from" one of the communities if fact - my former life I was one of the line of editors / owners of Beyond3D. Currently I am the Manager of the Performance and Enthusiast Desktop GPU team in the Discrete GPU Product Management Division.

Last edited by JD; August 22, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
At the ASIC level every PRO built can operate at PRO2 levels using the PRO2 BIOS so floor pricing is already dictated by that.
Which is great actually. But that doesn't really address the root issue brought about by your recent announcement of the standard and Boost versions hitting an identical $319 price. Now, granted, I know I shouldn't be thinking about the channel etc, but....

My main concern at this point in time is really the downwards pressure this places upon existing stocks of the HD 7950. If the "Pro 2" as you put it hits the $319 price point, what's the incentive for consumers to buy the "older" card other than additional discounts?

For the time being, I wouldn't be surprised if most board partners stick to the $319 / $349 points for the standard and Boost respectively. At least until their inventory is diminished somewhat.