Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
Allstar

which would you guys recommend for someone like me?

wants to get a 2560x1440 monitor and generally only likes to play RTS games and single-player FPS.

examples include SC2, FEAR, Fallout, Dead Space. basically, no 'hip' games like MW and COD.

EDIT: pretty sure both cards are extreme overkill for the stated games, but I like the noise profiles of the current gen GPUS.
Old August 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

At that res the 7950 seems to be the better buy (unless you prefer nvidia)
Old August 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
At that res the 7950 seems to be the better buy (unless you prefer nvidia)
This..

Even with the games your looking at, the res will mean that your pushing the card pretty hard anyway...
At that point it comes down to how high you want the settings..

For the games you listed you should be able to just about max out the settings at that res..
But it really does depend on the game and how pretty you want them and what FPS is acceptable to you.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Such a tough call indeed... I a fan of Nvidia graphics Adaptive Vsync + PhysX.
But given the 660Ti priced around the same as 7870, I guess it'll be coming at about 480SGD. So I think I better grab the 7950 @ 399SGD deal.

What do you guys mean about "folding" ?
Old August 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCdejavu View Post
Such a tough call indeed... I a fan of Nvidia graphics Adaptive Vsync + PhysX.
But given the 660Ti priced around the same as 7870, I guess it'll be coming at about 480SGD. So I think I better grab the 7950 @ 399SGD deal.

What do you guys mean about "folding" ?
Folding @ Home. Folding@home - HomePage

If you haven't heard of it before it's basically Distributed Computing (like the original Seti@Home) which performs medical research. The comment(s) WRT Folding on Nvidia cards refer to the fact that AMD cards have not been able to produce much output in FAH for quite some time (many years) so folks (like myself) who are dedicated FAH folders won't even consider putting an AMD card in our systems no matter how good the gaming performance is.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think PhysX is reason enough to go Nvidia.. if you like gaming, adaptive vsync and TXAA are a few more...

What does the rest of your PC consist of? CPU/RAM etc..
Old August 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
I think PhysX is reason enough to go Nvidia.. if you like gaming, adaptive vsync and TXAA are a few more...

What does the rest of your PC consist of? CPU/RAM etc..
Physx is no reason to go for nvidia... how many games actually use it?

Found it.. (there are many more that have it... but these are the ones that support GPU rendering of Physx..
PhysXInfo.com - Projects using PhysX SDK

A grand total of 27 / 404 games that can use it from GPU.. and of those there are few interesting ones (batman and Borderlands 2 being the main ones I see)
Old August 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
Top Prospect

660 ti was a no brainer for me since I saved an extra $60 on Borderlands 2. Mind you I only game at 1080p so the smaller memory bus and vram is not an issue. Pretty impressed with how quiet this is over my GTX 570 in my other rig. Atleast under load.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Physx is no reason to go for nvidia... how many games actually use it?

Found it.. (there are many more that have it... but these are the ones that support GPU rendering of Physx..
PhysXInfo.com - Projects using PhysX SDK

A grand total of 27 / 404 games that can use it from GPU.. and of those there are few interesting ones (batman and Borderlands 2 being the main ones I see)
Why wouldnt it be? Thats 27 games (actually 349 but whose counting) where you will not get the same experience if you go for AMD over NV. IF Borderlands 3 is any indication...it will be HUGE dif in effects on future titles.

IMHO both are so close that it aint funny and it is price and bonus features which give one over the other an advantage. Does this mena PhysX is a killer feature for everyone...nope. But it comob'ed with a free game AND cheaper price make the 660Ti a no brainer. AMD needs a price drop PDQ...as IF they were the same price...the AMD would be a no-brainer. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would grab the 660Ti purely for the $60 game , they are very close.