Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@ eyefinity

You can cherry pick results to support your oppinion all you want. But at the end of the day, its the OVERALL picture that you need to consider when evaluating a card. SKY is one of the most respected people in the industry for his methodology and how thourough his arguments are made.

At the end of the day, the 660ti slots right between the 7950 and 7870 in overall performance.
Live with it. Thats the way it is.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old August 17, 2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
@ eyefinity

You can cherry pick results to support your oppinion all you want. But at the end of the day, its the OVERALL picture that you need to consider when evaluating a card. SKY is one of the most respected people in the industry for his methodology and how thourough his arguments are made.

At the end of the day, the 660ti slots right between the 7950 and 7870 in overall performance.
Live with it. Thats the way it is.
I think you failed to realise that it was SKY himself who "cherry picked" legitreviews as evidence that the 660 Ti was on par with the 7950.

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

God knows how legitreviews came to their conclusion but I can only assume money and or threats were involved somewhere. It is patently obvious from the charts that the 660 Ti is blown away whenever AA is added into the equation...yes even at 1080p. To suggest this is a better 1080p card than the 7950 is downright laughable.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefinity View Post
I think you failed to realise that it was SKY himself who "cherry picked" legitreviews as evidence that the 660 Ti was on par with the 7950.

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

God knows how legitreviews came to their conclusion but I can only assume money and or threats were involved somewhere. It is patently obvious from the charts that the 660 Ti is blown away whenever AA is added into the equation...yes even at 1080p. To suggest this is a better 1080p card than the 7950 is downright laughable.

With all due respect, i think you're inferring what you want to someones comments as a fan of a certain brand. Both reviews stated that the 660ti was directed at the 7950, to compete with it, and in fact it does within ~10-13%, which given the msrp difference, does make it infact a direct compeditor.

Both people have stated where it falls in the scheme of things, and I beleive, again with all due respect, that you're viewing comments made by both through some red colored glasses.
You can have your oppinions, but please stay away from inferring someone was 'paid off' for a review, especially when talking about well respected people in the industry.

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old August 17, 2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Oh btw - 7870 vs 660 Ti

http://www.hardware....rformances.html (7870 wins 7, loses 5 over 12 games)
http://www.legitrevi...article/2006/1/ (7870 wins 3, loses 1 vs three overclocked 660 Ti's over 4 games)
http://www.tomshardw...ew,3279-17.html (7870 wins 5, loses 2 over 7 games)
http://ht4u.net/revi...est/index40.php (7870 wins 10, loses 7 over 17 games)

All at 1080p. Regardless of what some of you believe, there is no way that this is some "fluke" result over so many benchmarks. 40 games, 25 wins for the 7870 vs 15 for the 660 Ti.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Also dont forget sky uses in game results rather than artificial benchmarks... for example.amd has.optimized their card to run arkham city bechmark really well but its in game performance is actually quite a bit worse.

Also you cant forget how different sky's test suite is from everyone elses.

Last edited by JJThomp; August 17, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
With all due respect, i think you're inferring what you want to someones comments as a fan of a certain brand. Both reviews stated that the 660ti was directed at the 7950, to compete with it, and in fact it does within ~10-13%, which given the msrp difference, does make it infact a direct compeditor.
Excuse me? Legitreviews has the 7950 29% faster at 1080p. That's vs an OVERCLOCKED 660 Ti. Are you telling me that their conclusion is logical and unbiased based on the results they got?

Quote:
Both people have stated where it falls in the scheme of things, and I beleive, again with all due respect, that you're viewing comments made by both through some red colored glasses.
You can have your oppinions, but please stay away from inferring someone was 'paid off' for a review, especially when talking about well respected people in the industry.
With all due respect, if you can't add up 4 benchmark totals correctly and take the average without coming to a completely false conclusion like you did above, why should I care what you have to say to me?
Old August 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Here -

How does that back up any argument that the 660 Ti is on par with the 7950? 3 different overclocked cards can't even win in two TWIMTBP games vs the 7870.
Again, you are cherry picking results. Plus, in two of those situations neither card provides playable framerates anyways.

You really need to look at the big picture across multiple sites. Anandtech, Tech Report, HWC, Techpowerup, etc. And DO NOT post Dirt Showdown results....it uses shading routines that skew results wildly in AMD's favor. It is a perfect example of the Gaming Evolved initiative pulling a fast one on performance charts.
So what exactly are you arguing about here?

Last edited by SKYMTL; August 17, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Excuse me? Legitreviews has the 7950 29% faster at 1080p. That's vs an OVERCLOCKED 660 Ti. Are you telling me that their conclusion is logical and unbiased based on the results they got?

With all due respect, if you can't add up 4 benchmark totals correctly and take the average without coming to a completely false conclusion like you did above, why should I care what you have to say to me?

Look at methodology. Synthetic benchmarks never equal real life gameplay. Ever.
That also has to come into play. Drivers can make synthetic benchmarking look much better than it is.

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old August 17, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

Okay dude you need to chill I am partial to AMD but the 660ti beats the 7870 its really not all that close sure you can pick and chose benchmarks from different sites to make the 7870 seem better. I can pick and choose sites to make nvidia seem better. At the end of.the day people who want to spend less than 300 will buy the 7870 and people who have a.$300 budget will buy the 660ti.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Again, you are cherry picking results. Plus, in two of those situations neither card provides playable framerates anyways.

You really need to look at the big picture across multiple sites. Anandtech, Tech Report, HWC, Techpowerup, etc. And DO NOT post Dirt Showdown results....it uses shading routines that skew results wildly in AMD's favor. It is a perfect example of the Gaming Evolved initiative pulling a fast one on performance charts.

Yeah and you've never used games that wildly favoured Nvidia? We all know who uses their initiative the most to hobble the opposing cards.

As for not using Dirt Showdown - it couldn't possibly be that you don't want to lose Nvidia's huge advantage in Dirt 3 could it?

Or maybe it was because Nvidia asked you nicely in the reviewer guide? Yes this is the point - you can tell which sites are Nvidia biased because they are the ones that didn't benchmark Dirt Showdown.