Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Rolls Out new HD 7950 BIOS, Expects Existing Customers to Look the Other Way

AMD today pushed out a BIOS update for its Radeon HD 7950 line of cards, but only for reviewers.

The company says the updates this refreshed BIOS has will in many ways mirror the style of update delivered to the 7970: apparent performance updates, new features, and an increased clock speed to 850MHz base/925MHz with “Boost” (compared an original base speed of 800MHz).

Read more here: AMD Rolls Out new HD 7950 BIOS, Expects Existing Customers to Look the Other Way | Hardware Canucks
Old August 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
Allstar

So they are basically dangling a Forbidden Fruit in front of existing customers.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

They're telling people to stop buying AMD cards, or anything AMD really.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:39 PM

They're also telling reviewers: use this in your upcoming NVIDIA review. I wonder why...............
Old August 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL stupid AMD....

Well doesn't matter. The new BIOS will be available for download shortly.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:58 PM

If there is enough demand, I'll make the BIOS available but be warned, the risks involved are massive.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Allstar

So they want reviewers to use it against the 660TI review? I can just see the customer backlash on this one. New customers got old stocks and it doesn't measure up unless the mfg give the new cards a different name. Old customers will be piss that they can't update their BIOS without a huge risk in bricking their own card and end up tossing it.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
AMD today pushed out a BIOS update for its Radeon HD 7950 line of cards, but only for reviewers.

The company says the updates this refreshed BIOS has will in many ways mirror the style of update delivered to the 7970: apparent performance updates, new features, and an increased clock speed to 850MHz base/925MHz with “Boost” (compared an original base speed of 800MHz).

Read more here: AMD Rolls Out new HD 7950 BIOS, Expects Existing Customers to Look the Other Way | Hardware Canucks
I normally like your articles SKYMTL and i'm an nvidia user myself. However, this reeks of trying to create controversy where none exists. I say good on AMD, I haven't heard of a single user not successful with a 7970ghz BIOS flash. All 7xxx cards tend to OC extremely well, and without the retarded temperature throttle / power throttle that plague nvidia kepler cards. I purchased MSI lightning 680s precisely for this reason, becuase overclocking STINKS on most kepler cards - you can OC but you will run into thermal throttle....overpower throttle....if you keep msi afterburner overlay open you will see your clockspeeds continually fluctuate from all that crap.....
Old August 13, 2012, 08:41 PM

We typically shy away from controversy. Not this time. This has nothing to do with overclocking.

I'll come out and say it: AMD almost pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with the "GHz Edition" by claiming it would be almost immediately. That never, ever happened. It was simply a way to divert attention with a mythical product.

This situation has the same smell to it and I for one am not jumping onto the bait so quickly. I'm taking a wait and see approach instead of benchmarking a card that may or may not ever be available at the price AMD claims it will be.

IMO, what we have here is a situation very much like our refusal to benchmark an overclocked GTX 460 card during subsequent AMD launches. This differs in one major way though: NVIDIA's cards were available at the time. AMD's claims are nothing more than smoke and mirrors trying to divert attention from an upcoming card that may have them beat clean. That is until we see product on the shelves at the prices they promised....THEN we'll talk. :)

It's time for the media to start talking straight, regardless of the party stepping over the line....be it Intel, AMD, NVIDIA or anyone else for that matter. This is just the first step.

Am I pissed with the BS being fed by these companies to readers and forum goers they think are naive enough to lap it up like eager puppies? Hell yeah. Enough is enough with the shady marketing tactics and that doesn't only go for AMD here.

Last edited by SKYMTL; August 21, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
We typically shy away from controversy. Not this time. This has nothing to do with overclocking.

I'll come out and say it: AMD almost pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with the "GHz Edition" by claiming it would be almost immediately available. That never, ever happened. It was simply a way to divert attention with a mythical product.

This situation has the same smell to it and I for one am not jumping onto the bait so quickly. I'm taking a wait and see approach instead of benchmarking a card that may or may not ever be available at the price AMD claims it will be.

IMO, what we have here is a situation very much like our refusal to benchmark an overclocked GTX 460 card during subsequent AMD launches. This differs in one major way though: NVIDIA's cards were available at the time. AMD's claims are nothing more than smoke and mirrors trying to divert attention from a card that has them beat clean. That is until we see product on the shelves at the prices they promised....THEN we'll talk. :)

It's time for someone in the media to start talking straight, regardless of the party stepping over the line....be it Intel, AMD, NVIDIA or anyone else for that matter. This is just the first step.

Am I pissed with the BS being fed by these companies to readers and forum goers they think are naive enough to lap it up like eager puppies? Hell yeah. Enough is enough.
You sir and this site have gone up a few notches in my book by saying that. I have always been extremely impressed with how unbiased you are and how willing you are to cut the bullcrap and say it like it is well done sky

Last edited by SKYMTL; August 21, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Closed Thread