Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2012, 11:19 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Default EVGA GEFORCE 7600 BLOWN CAPACITORS

hello

it appears the Capacitors on my Graphics card by evga have blown. the ones that blew up are near the power connector. they are

FZ73
1000uF
6.3v

this was happening while i was playing CSS after experiencing these colorful lines in TF2. as i was playing CSS i noticed the same lines were appearing. so i thought it was the nvidia control panel. so i did some maintenance in the panel. games were running even better ^^ but the lines were still there. followed by a loud pop that scared the hell out of me (reason why im christian now ;D) and a blank screen.

i immediatly pulled the power and took out the card noticing that there were two of these blown caps near the capacitor.

the devices taht were on the same cable as the card was a cd drive, fan, and finally the card on the end of the power cable....or "rail".

now after doing some research i found that there was some capactor scandal with EVGAs Geforce 7600 graphics cards where the caps used a stolen formula missing an ingradiant that keeps them running stable. i told this to my dad but he replied with "thats impossible all caps are the same the graphics card is just shite".

so im going to replace the caps myself since my dad thinks that putting higher voltage caps will help. so my questions are

1. is the video card really bad? or is it just the capacitors?

2. should i use high voltage caps or just stay with 6.3?

3. should i replace ALL the capacitors? or just the two caps that are broken?

im going to be purchasing these capactiros off of ebay btw.

6.3 1500uF
lot of 4 pcs Sanyo 6.3V 1500uF Aluminum video card solid Capacitor 1500uF/6.3V | eBay

6.3 470 uF
4 pcs of 470uF 6.3V SANYO SEP Aluminum solid Capacitor | eBay

6.3 1000uF
4 Nichicon L8 6.3V 1000UF LESR Aluminum solid high reliability Capacitor 8x8 | eBay
Old August 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Chances are the capacitors are all that's wrong with the card. Cheap ones blow as they get old.

I'd replace all of them, as the other ones will probably blow eventually.

And I'd get the Nichicon ones, those are good capacitors as I recall.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately your dad doesn't know what he's talking about.

Swap all the capacitors on that card, cause they are likely dead even if they haven't vented yet.

Ebay is sometimes a very hard place to buy from as you tend to get counterfeit items there.

order from mouser or digikey for happy endings.

Sanyo, Panasonic, RubyCon, Nichicon, United ChemiCon, are all good brands.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

so do i have to get the same voltage? please explain why my dads wrong so i can show him this.

and is it okay if i mix sanyo and nichicon together?
Old August 9, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's okay to mix them, that's no problem.

Increasing the voltage of the capacitor doesn't do anything at all, providing the engineer who made the card was competent, which he was.

Every time you select a higher voltage the capacitor gets bigger and more expensive.

Capacitors die because of ripple from SMPS which cause the ESR to climb until they finally vent, not because they were improperly picked with regards to voltage.

They picked the right voltage and capacitance already, they just used a shitty brand. Fix that and you'll be golden.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:52 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
it's okay to mix them, that's no problem.

Increasing the voltage of the capacitor doesn't do anything at all, providing the engineer who made the card was competent, which he was.

Every time you select a higher voltage the capacitor gets bigger and more expensive.

Capacitors die because of ripple from SMPS which cause the ESR to climb until they finally vent, not because they were improperly picked with regards to voltage.

They picked the right voltage and capacitance already, they just used a shitty brand. Fix that and you'll be golden.
fan-flaping-tastic. i will let you know if it works then.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

well i got the caps. after going through a long time just to replace the two, i notice that the graphics card works but the video looks funky in tf2 and css.

i examined the card again and notice that one of the capacitors is loose. so with the help of my dad he got both of the caps on their nicely and now the games startup....kind of.

i looked at the caps to see what was wrong and noticed that one of the sides on the capacitor is dark like as if it got burnt or something.

now i havent replaced all capacitors near the power connector yet so the 470uF 16v cap from sacon is still there. should i replace that or the brown capacitor?
Old August 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you went through all that effort for a gf7600? i think we should give this guy a one of our spare videocard, You are in Canada, Kid? I would give you a hd 4650
Old August 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I like the initiative that the OP has taken. IMO it is great idea to try stuff like this on hardware that is past its prime. I have changed the caps on a number of lcd displays with great success. I wish the OP much success and I hope you get it to work.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
you went through all that effort for a gf7600? i think we should give this guy a one of our spare videocard, You are in Canada, Kid? I would give you a hd 4650
please make no mention of this again because if you do a moderator will close this thread. and if he closes it then i will end up losing all hope and go back to the ATi Radeon x1550 that has BAD. BAD. BAD. BAD. BAD opengl drivers.

any house i really need an nVIDIA Geforce 6 or 7 graphcis card and i choose the Geforce 7600. and this card is the last piece to finishing it. i really am trying to stop putting money into this computer. its making me feel like its going to waste already.

Last edited by Gameman Advanced Kid; August 12, 2012 at 07:57 PM.