Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Im sorry but what? that post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever man. At any rate it sounds like its possible that there wasnt enough heat in the solder joint or you applied to much heat to the board and possibly ruined a cap or two.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
you went through all that effort for a gf7600? i think we should give this guy a one of our spare videocard, You are in Canada, Kid? I would give you a hd 4650
i was talking about this post. i remember reading another post around here on HC of this guy who wanted to build a computer with free parts and it was closed by a moderator. dont remember names though but you get the idea of what im thinking.

moving back on subject, i did get them properly soldered and stuff its just that the card looks warped or something because if you try to look at its flatness youll see its a bit warped or something. like someone trying to bend it.

right now im stuck wtih a geforce 5500 but that card cant run left 4 dead 2 like the 7600 did. i was looking forward to even running mirrors edge on teh Pentium 3 for massive amounts of giggles.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

MOST sloding irons not safe to use on computer circuits for the cheap irons give off voltage on tip ....killing your hardware

best use an ESD type of soldering iron
Old August 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
Allstar

Ah yes, I tried fixing the broken power jack on my laptop using my own soldering iron. Let just say that I messed it up pretty bad and finally gave up and went to a shop to have them install a new jack. Thank goodness it wasn't FUBAR. You have to understand that these boards aren't some amateur build electronic circuits or DIY kits. It's very possible that the board is already beyond saving before you replaced the CAPS or you overheat some of the parts when you de-solder and solder on the new CAPS. A new 8400GS is only $31 before tax on NCIX so it's not a bad idea to just replace the card.

I wouldn't think the mods will lock your thread in this case because your hardware is dead.
Old August 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid View Post
i was talking about this post. i remember reading another post around here on HC of this guy who wanted to build a computer with free parts and it was closed by a moderator. dont remember names though but you get the idea of what im thinking.

moving back on subject, i did get them properly soldered and stuff its just that the card looks warped or something because if you try to look at its flatness youll see its a bit warped or something. like someone trying to bend it.

right now im stuck wtih a geforce 5500 but that card cant run left 4 dead 2 like the 7600 did. i was looking forward to even running mirrors edge on teh Pentium 3 for massive amounts of giggles.
That would have been because he was looking for stuff... if someone wants to give you something of their own choice then you have nout to worry about.

On the point of putting money into the computer... I hope you didn't pay or at least pay much for that 7600.. They are freebies these days.. too old.

Like the willingness to actually fix the hardware though..
Old August 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Replace all caps of the same type that blew with capacitors of the same spec. Also make sure when ordering that you get the diameter and height required and the proper lead spacing. General Purpose capacitors will work fine in this application, no need for more expensive low ESR ones.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
That would have been because he was looking for stuff... if someone wants to give you something of their own choice then you have nout to worry about.

On the point of putting money into the computer... I hope you didn't pay or at least pay much for that 7600.. They are freebies these days.. too old.

Like the willingness to actually fix the hardware though..
i spent around 30 dollars on ebay for a geforce 7600. i dont see how they can be free especially in the U.S.A.

and since you mention that then i guess its okay. just hope the moderator dosent close this thread.

im going to replaced the blackened capacitor (i can see the negative side blackened out a bit).
Old August 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

What i dont quite understand is why your so bent on running old hardware? I mean sure its fun in practice to try and repair it but like dz said that card is beyond the end of its life cycle and its somewhat hard to understand your reluctance to spend a bit more than 30 bucks to ensure your computer runs smoothly?
Old August 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
What i dont quite understand is why your so bent on running old hardware? I mean sure its fun in practice to try and repair it but like dz said that card is beyond the end of its life cycle and its somewhat hard to understand your reluctance to spend a bit more than 30 bucks to ensure your computer runs smoothly?
the reason why i am so bent on trying to get this graphics card working again is so i can always revert to it when my old games wont run on the new computer ill be building soon.

and yes i actually do plan on getting some newer games as well like the one im most hyped about, Battle Field 3.

(new computer here: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg)

im sorry if this sounds stupid but i really do like the old games i still play and i really need those old programs. its a grand shame they are running bad on my Pentium D (tried using xp and the thing was unstable, went to windows 7 and now the network adapter acts funny and the games still run shite just like it did on xp).

this pentium 3 system is in good condition and runs my older games like a champ. if i can just get this 7600 ill be able to play left 4 dead 2 again since my pentium D is acting really funky right now. once i get the newer computer ill stop complaining and use the newer computer for games like left 4 dead 2, battle field 3, portal 2, and so on.

im really srry if this sounds complicated right now but i will simply say that as an aspergian, its hard for me to put all the things i have in text than saying it in words.

now can someone please explain what the blackened or darkened stuff on the side of the capacitor is? its the one that appeared after i was done soldering. the other one seems okay...
Old August 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah okay THAT makes a lot more sense, as for the caps still sounds like you did something wrong installing them, probably the wrong type for the card or not installed properly