Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Asus GTX 680 anyone? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/55983-asus-gtx-680-anyone.html)

PaperOrPlastic? August 8, 2012 12:35 AM

Asus GTX 680 anyone?

Well I'm new, and I have been lurking around many different tech forums looking for an answer to a complicated question. If you take a look at my sig you will see I have two 6950's in crossfire. I have had them for two years and never gotten quite the performance I would think I should. My original build had them in a computer with an AMD Phenom II 1100T which is a hex-core. When it became apparent to me that the lack of performance in games like skyrim, or fallout 3, could be related to the CPU being a bottleneck, I dropped the AMD CPU platform all together.

I now have the i5 2500K and the motherboard you see below in the sig, and while it did make a huge improvement in most games I still can't quite get where I want to be. So now I blame AMD's drivers which I have noticed are only getting worse. For example, there latest beta drivers improves performance slightly in metro 2033 (a difference of 3 frames) but hurts the performance of skyrim. The irony is skyrim is the only game I want to play with a steady 60 FPS. Something I know from years of experience with the gamebryo engine to be a daunting challenge.

With my two video cards and skyrim I cannot run the game at ultra without getting dips of about 20-35 fps in towns. And while this doesn't sound like a big deal and in most games wouldn't be, for me it is. But only in skyrim. In fallout my answer to unstable frame-rate is to cap the FPS at 30. Fallout 3 and New Vegas both play fine at this frame-rate, its not fantastic but you can get used to it. Skyrim on the other hand does not like 30fps. I don't know what it is but the games get horrible stutters.

But here's the icing on the cake guys. Since skyrim released on 11-11-11, I have been playing it and not even being able to get stable frames playing on High with AA turned off and shadows turned down! On top of that if vsync is enabled AMD drivers choke and die, and the game turns into a jagged slideshow of un-smooth mouse movements and stutter.

All I want is to play skyrim with 60 FPS always, I don't care how high it goes, as long as it doesn't drop below 60 ever. A tall order? Maybe. But this review from this very own site says it can be done. Granted they do not have many mods installed, and granted they have a better CPU, I would simply like to know, with my computer and if I bought this video card would it be possible to achieve similar results? I don't even play at 1920 x 1200, I play at 1920 x 1080.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-12.html

TMALSS - Will that video card linked above, with my computer specs in my sig be able to max out skyrim (or come close) and achieve 60 fps everywhere in game?

Soultribunal August 8, 2012 07:00 AM

Well I have to admit that not being able to cap 60FPS with a Pair of 6950's at 1080p is disappointing. I suppose it could very well be drivers or some other issue that is bottlenecking it.

If you want to switch to the green team, both the TOP 670 and 680 are almost nect and neck. So whichever is more appropriate to your budget.
I would personally opt for a 680 but given the performance of ASUS's 670 its almost Moot, at least for that game.

-ST

NSdeadly1 August 8, 2012 12:49 PM

This seems odd to me, I have almost the exact same setup as you and have absolutely no problems with Skyrim. Maybe I'm just being as fussy as you about the fps but I have never had an issue with maxing it with good fps.

PaperOrPlastic? August 8, 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 (Post 647409)
This seems odd to me, I have almost the exact same setup as you and have absolutely no problems with Skyrim. Maybe I'm just being as fussy as you about the fps but I have never had an issue with maxing it with good fps.

Honestly you probably be aren't. For some reason with gamebryo games I just cannot play them when the FPS goes down. A week ago I tried and got a headache, which really sucks because I really would like to play it.

And thanks Soul for the info, I am pretty sure I will be buying the 680 soon.

Soultribunal August 8, 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperOrPlastic? (Post 647434)
Honestly you probably be aren't. For some reason with gamebryo games I just cannot play them when the FPS goes down. A week ago I tried and got a headache, which really sucks because I really would like to play it.

And thanks Soul for the info, I am pretty sure I will be buying the 680 soon.

Just sucks that you sunk all that money into, what were at the time powerful cards.
I, myself had a pair of 6950's (XFX) that I gave up because of Crossfire issues, but otherwise they ran a lot of games REALLY well.

Hopefully the 680 will serve you well,

-ST