Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2012, 05:54 AM
Rookie

Default Intel HD Graphics Driver

Came across this while I was using "Uninstall a Program."

It is Ver 8.15.10.2405 & is 74.2 MB.

Since I have a discrete video card (Radeon 6900 series) what does this driver do?
Old July 27, 2012, 06:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably just an Auto-Install driver for the onboard graphics that happened when you first set everything up.
Usually Intel drivers are pretty good at doing nothing when the MB detects a Discrete GPU.
You should be able to un-install it without consequence.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Rookie

Hi Dunc,

Welcome,

As Soultribunal rightly said, the Intel HD Graphics driver is available to support the onboard video in your system. In case if you are not using a discrete video card, the onboard video would run with the help of Intel HD Graphics driver.

As you have told that you are using a discrete video card (Radeon 6900 series), therefore, your system is currently using the discrete video card driver. However, in case if you ever need to use the onboard graphics, you would need the Intel HD Graphics driver. Therefore, I would advise you as not to uninstall this driver from your system.

I hope the link mentioned below would further answer your queries related to the Intel HD Graphics driver:

Graphics — Intel® graphics driver FAQ

Glad to Help.

Thanks & Regards,
DELL_Abhishek_V
Dell Social Media Responder