Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well until I saw skymtl's offer for $200, I was going to suggest going to the evil Futures***. I actually just picked up a eVGA 8800GT there for $200. And now when I look there are a bunch of other ones on sale as well. Including a XFX 8800GTS 512MB Alpha Dog version for $269. I myself had a eVGA 8800GTS 320 card before this and then got a better monitor and noticed how the framerates in my games all dropped. So picked up the 8800GT and although I have not had time to really do much gaming I have noticed about 1000 points gain in 3DMark06 over my highly overclocked GTS.

So if I were you I would try to grab one of the XFX 8800GTS 512 cards at that price. They are better than the 8800GT's and that is a great price. If I hadn't just spent last night installing the akimbo cooler on my card I would be bringing it back to get that GTS one instead.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Rookie

hmmm....
Old April 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Rookie

If you gonna be running in SLI mode I'd suggest to get a EVGA 8800GT SC from TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components, & Electronics, they are only $180 and are a great deal. All they need is an after market cooler like the S1
Old April 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

Default No SLI for me

Since I am still running ASUS P5B I have no option go SLI.
So the G92 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512 are essentially the same except the GTS has the full 128 Stream Processors right? Just need to clear this up for me. I have been looking some more and see that those new GTS's can hit between 800-840Mhz on the core when Overclocked. So if both cards have the same core. And the GTS can hit GT speeds easily, Then now I see why people keep saying go with that GTS over the GT. But are those extra Stream processors worth the almost 100 bucks more?
Sorry guys if I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, But so far every upgrade that I have done except my new LCD has always been shrouded with doubt once I get the product home and installed. I seem to always say, "If I would've only seen this or that article or review before I bought that, Then I would have gone with something else!"
It is very tempting to jump on That ASUS TOP 8800GT that you have mentioned. Are you able to PM me the total price I would have to send i order to get that card sent to my house in Victoria B.C.?!?! That will help narrow this decision for me. I now this may seem like a stupid Question, But That Asus Top GT is Brand new right.
And also, Having extra 512Mb V-Ram isn't going to me at 1920*1200?? I remember reading that the 512MB Vs the 1GB 8800GT's didn't have much a difference in gaming performance, But I was only focusing on a Res of 1440*900 Before. I just don't see how having an extra 512MB V-Ram wouldn't have better Performance in High Res gaming.
Alright, Off to work I go.
Thanx again for the Comments people.
Can someone simplify this concept for me.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old April 14, 2008, 07:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
So the G92 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512 are essentially the same except the GTS has the full 128 Stream Processors right?
Yes. And stock clock speeds.

Quote:
I have been looking some more and see that those new GTS's can hit between 800-840Mhz on the core when Overclocked. So if both cards have the same core. And the GTS can hit GT speeds easily, Then now I see why people keep saying go with that GTS over the GT. But are those extra Stream processors worth the almost 100 bucks more?
It depends. COD 4 isn't a particularly demanding game on any system but I think the issue you were having was the amount of memory on your 8800GTS 320MB. As for Crysis, you can forget about playing that at 1920x1200 at high settings with literally ANY single card solution. An overclocked 9800 GTX would get you close but it would still tend to chug in certain areas.

Quote:
It is very tempting to jump on That ASUS TOP 8800GT that you have mentioned. Are you able to PM me the total price I would have to send i order to get that card sent to my house in Victoria B.C.?!?!
As I have said in my For Sale thread, the price includes shipping to ANYWHERE in Canada.

Quote:
That will help narrow this decision for me. I now this may seem like a stupid Question, But That Asus Top GT is Brand new right.
Only used for about 6 hours of testing and then put back into the box. The only thing you don't get is a warranty but it is up to you to decide if the cost savings is worth it.

Quote:
And also, Having extra 512Mb V-Ram isn't going to me at 1920*1200?? I remember reading that the 512MB Vs the 1GB 8800GT's didn't have much a difference in gaming performance, But I was only focusing on a Res of 1440*900 Before. I just don't see how having an extra 512MB V-Ram wouldn't have better Performance in High Res gaming.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. From personal experience it largely depends on the game being played since some benefit more from core / memory speed increases than additional ram. I find that alot of mid-end cards (like the 8800GT) just can't take full advantage of the bandwidth provided by 1GB of video memory.