Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Nvidia forums hacked (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/55469-nvidia-forums-hacked.html)

On2wheels July 13, 2012 05:48 AM

Nvidia forums hacked

Quote:

Dear NVIDIA Forum User,
We suspended operations of the NVIDIA Forums last week in response to suspicious activity and immediately began an investigation. We apologize that our continuing investigation is taking this long. Know that we are working around the clock to ensure that secure operations can be restored.
Our investigation has identified that unauthorized third parties gained access to some user information, including:

• username
• email address
• hashed passwords with random salt value
• public-facing “About Me” profile information

NVIDIA did not store any passwords in clear text. “About Me” optional profiles could include a user’s title, age, birthdate, gender, location, interests, email and website URL – all of which was already publicly accessible.
NVIDIA is continuing to investigate this matter and is working to restore the Forums as soon as possible. We are employing additional security measures to minimize the impact of future attacks.
All user passwords for our Forums will be reset when the system comes back online. At that time, an email with a temporary password, along with instructions on how to change it, will be sent to your registered email address.
As a precautionary measure, we strongly recommend that you change any identical passwords that you may be using elsewhere.
NVIDIA does not request sensitive information by email. Do not provide personal, financial or sensitive information (including new passwords) in response to any email purporting to be sent by an NVIDIA employee or representative.
Check back on the NVIDIA Forums for updates.
Such is life in 2012 I guess. Sucks.

stoanee July 13, 2012 06:08 AM

Sigh.....time for retina scans I guess.......:doh:

Keywork July 13, 2012 06:31 AM

All of the shitty web applications built over the last 10 years are finally biting people in the ass.

Dr_BenD_over July 13, 2012 06:33 AM

Like I can remember what password I used on the nvidia forums now... I haven't been on them since 2006...

b1lk1 July 13, 2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keywork (Post 641980)
All of the shitty web applications built over the last 10 years are finally biting people in the ass.

That and all the people that took for granted they were using "safe" applications so they left their guard at home.

Pabz0r545 July 13, 2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 641978)

Or vein network palm scans which are already being used in asia. :bananafunky:

SugarJ July 13, 2012 08:58 AM

Ya, I'd like to thank Trion (Rift MMO) for getting their forums hacked and letting someone make off with my personal email address. After being careful for 10 years and only getting a couple spams per week, I might have to change it as I now get 50 penis enlargement spams a day.

stoanee July 13, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 642016)
Ya, I'd like to thank Trion (Rift MMO) for getting their forums hacked and letting someone make off with my personal email address. After being careful for 10 years and only getting a couple spams per week, I might have to change it as I now get 50 penis enlargement spams a day.

According to my spam box I frequent gambling sites quite often. :blarg:

Masteroderus July 13, 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

No way then hackers will rip out your eyeballs ala Demolition man!!! :rofl:

Funguseater July 13, 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, except now they are saying that iris patterns degrade over time, not too usefull for scanners in the long term...

DailyTech - Accuracy of Iris Recognition Systems Degrades over Time According to New Study

(yeah dailytech, with a grain of salt and all)
Fungi