Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
Rookie

since the linked in hack, the number of penis enlargement spams I get a day is mind boggling. hate to give up my email after having used it for 10+ years
Old July 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is why I have 1 account for important / personal mails and 1 for signing up to forums and other random stuff you need a mail address to use.
Keeps the spam away from stuff I actually want to read etc.
Old July 14, 2012, 03:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do anyone think this could be linked to the HWC problems a couple of months ago?
Old July 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
Do anyone think this could be linked to the HWC problems a couple of months ago?
Nah, HotWheelsCollectors.com has no grudge with NVIDIA.

I don't even get random BS like this. Hack some place with credit card or banking info becaue you're a slimeball thief? OK, makes sense, you're a loser and that's your "job".

Hack the NVIDIA forums? Ummm....you're a loser and youi want to pretend you're other people on a forum? You're going to see if they use the same user/pass on other forums? You want to send your flamewar enemy a snarky email and not have the bad old mods delete it?

I can't think of any reason this is worth doing, doesn't seem to be any payoff.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
Allstar

It's not that they want your password to the enxt forum you visit, but you may use that same password at your bank, or paypal, or some other important account.

They do it because people in general are lazy about their on-line accounts. many use the same e-mail/username/password across mutliple forums, websites, accounts. And often with ridiculously easy passwords (as the recent Yahoo list shows) despite all the information and education attempts otherwise.

I use a different e-mail when I register places, and a different password on every site or account I register. That way only one can ever be compromised and if I start getting spam to an e-mail address I know exactly what account was compromised/sold and just disable it.